What's new

Overcoming Strict NAT on Xbox One

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jkilbreth

New Around Here
As the title suggests, my problem is that I have Strict NAT status on my Xbox One, which occasionally creates issues with online multiplay. I'm pretty sure I know the reason I have the issue: I am connecting my Xbox One wirelessly to my Asus RT-AC66R running Asuswrt-Merlin firmware version 376.49_4, which is connected to my ISP's mandatory provided Modem/WiFi Router (Ubee TWC model DVW32CB) from one if the Ubee's switchports to the WAN port on my Asus router. What this does (I believe) is to create an instance of "double NATing", or so I've been told.

My frustration started when my ISP (TWC) informed me that the only way to have a home phone AND internet services from them was to use their modem/WiFi router.
Now, I've set up my Asus router off one of the switchports from the Ubee to the WAN port on my Asus router, and all the wireless devices coming off my router have no issues connecting to the internet and performing other LAN-based actions (i.e. LAN printing).
I'm no networking guru, but I do want to have control of my network from the public IP down. I want to use my router as the main router in my home, and while I can use my ISP's router, I need to resolve the NAT issue with my Xbox One (which is connecting to my Asus router).

A possible solution I thought of was to somehow assign the public IP assigned by my ISP exclusively to the switchport connecting to my Asus router, thus eliminating the instance of NAT being provided by the Ubee router. However, I do not know the interface well, and am not sure I know all the terms associated with this setting, or even if this setting is even an option for the Ubee router.

Since I own my Asus router, I have complete access and control over its configuration. Any changes suggested here should have no issues. I lease the Ubee router from TWC, so I can only do what the default GUI/firmware allows me to.

Thanks in advance, guys/gals!

Some AT&T CPE use an "IP Passthrough" feature for just my situation. Does anyone know if Ubee provides ths, or if they call the feature something else?

Always open to other suggestions/solutions as well!

As the title suggests, my problem is that I have Strict NAT status on my Xbox One, which occasionally creates issues with online multiplay. I'm pretty sure I know the reason I have the issue: I am connecting my Xbox One wirelessly to my Asus RT-AC66R running Asuswrt-Merlin firmware version 376.49_4, which is connected to my ISP's mandatory provided Modem/WiFi Router (Ubee TWC model DVW32CB) from one if the Ubee's switchports to the WAN port on my Asus router. What this does (I believe) is to create an instance of "double NATing", or so I've been told.

Connect your XBone to one of the LAN ports on the RG, and you're pretty much done...

Should work fine then, otherwise consider putting the XBone into the UBee DMZ.

Some AT&T CPE use an "IP Passthrough" feature for just my situation. Does anyone know if Ubee provides ths, or if they call the feature something else?

UVerse is different, and there, you need to be in the UVerse DMZ for things to work - depends on the RG (old school 2Wire vs. PaceArris), but since you're on TWC, stick with things focused there.

Because of the physical location of the router, the Xbox cannot be directly connected via Ethernet to either my router or the TWC gateway.

How does the Ubee DMZ differ from my asus router's network? I'm not being sarcastic, for clarification, I just don't know the fundamental difference between the two.

Also, I've heard I might be able to configure the Ubee router to function in bridge mode and that would basically make it a modem only, for all intents and purposes... Is this true? And if so, does anyone know how to make this configuration?

Because of the physical location of the router, the Xbox cannot be directly connected via Ethernet to either my router or the TWC gateway.

Sorry to hear that - have you consider HomePlug's perhaps to extend - they'll be lower latency than WiFi

How does the Ubee DMZ differ from my asus router's network? I'm not being sarcastic, for clarification, I just don't know the fundamental difference between the two.

Being in the DMZ of the primary gateway simplifies the NAT situation - putting a router behind the GW, you most certainly will be in a double-NAT situation in most cases, and this might not be a good thing for gaming - and that router in between - adds, yep, latency, which means getting or avoiding that kill-shot..

Also, I've heard I might be able to configure the Ubee router to function in bridge mode and that would basically make it a modem only, for all intents and purposes... Is this true? And if so, does anyone know how to make this configuration?

If it's just broadband, yes, should do - but if it's part of a triple play - e.g. phone/tv/broadband, then this is not a good option, which goes back to perhaps being in the DMZ of the Gateway in the first place...

Strict NAT or strict routing doesnt make a difference for consoles, you must use UPNP or manually port forward. Many consoles like to use p2p for multiplayer where everyone uploads to everyone rather than through some central server or also through a central server. It reduces costs for game and console companies while the consoles and games cost more money.

many p2p applications will use UPNP. Skype is one example.

If you can put your Asus in the dmz of the ubee, I would start with that.

If that doesn't work, I'd put the xbox in the dmz of the Asus and the Asus in the dmz of the ubee. There's not really such a thing as double dmz as far as I know, but that's basically what I'm recommending. It still could break based on the dmz implementation of each router, but it's not double nat, so it's got a good shot of working.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!