What's new

Parental Controls

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dpreilan

Occasional Visitor
Interesting project.

I just moved from official asus firmware to merlin.
I brought this router because of parental controls. The first ac router, netgear, didn't support timed access so purchased a couple of the rt-ac66.

I set some controls up once.
The other night I noticed some of the kids wireless clients connected that should have been blocked.

I go to the parental control web page and it no longer displays correctly.
All the pages are the same look and feel, but parental control page is shifted up, the text box for explaining steps and watching video, and then nothing. No enable/disable and of course no record of any rules I setup.

I see some posts about parental controls not working, but anybody's page messed up like this.

I did a support chat with asus and they said take router back, but I don't think this is a hardware issue.

I put merlin on so I can read the code and maybe debug some.

Interesting project.

I just moved from official asus firmware to merlin.
I brought this router because of parental controls. The first ac router, netgear, didn't support timed access so purchased a couple of the rt-ac66.

I set some controls up once.
The other night I noticed some of the kids wireless clients connected that should have been blocked.

I go to the parental control web page and it no longer displays correctly.
All the pages are the same look and feel, but parental control page is shifted up, the text box for explaining steps and watching video, and then nothing. No enable/disable and of course no record of any rules I setup.

I see some posts about parental controls not working, but anybody's page messed up like this.

I did a support chat with asus and they said take router back, but I don't think this is a hardware issue.

I put merlin on so I can read the code and maybe debug some.

I already got strange formated pages, but it went normal after a refresh. Do you get that scrambled page even after refreshing the page ?

GH

Page formatting / missing portions usually occur if there is a device on the network with an invalid network name. If you open your web browser's error console (usually by pressing F12) and then reload the page, do you see a Javascript error?

No, refresh doesn't help and it is only that page. the rest of the web pages look ok.

I have tried ie, chrome, and safari on ios and mac os.

For ie, f12 brought up something, I click console, and refresh and see:

SCRIPT1004: Expected ';'
ParentalControl.asp, line 56 character 37
SCRIPT5007: The value of the property '$j' is null or undefined, not a Function object
ParentalControl.asp, line 784 character 9
SCRIPT5007: The value of the property 'initial' is null or undefined, not a Function object
ParentalControl.asp, line 707 character 1
SEC7115: :visited and :link styles can only differ by color. Some styles were not applied to :visited.
ParentalControl.asp

Thanks!

No, refresh doesn't help and it is only that page. the rest of the web pages look ok.

I have tried ie, chrome, and safari on ios and mac os.
Thanks!

Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.270.24 (Merlin build)
I tried with Chrome Version 24.0.1312.57 m and IE v 9.0.8112. I had no problem with the display (I don't know for the control...). I think it's really a matter for Marlin!

By the way Merlin, would it be easy to use the same device names as in the "Client Status" for the "client name" of "Parental Control"?

GH

Last edited:
Sounds like you have a network device with an invalid name (this is common with some devices such as the Sonos players). Post the content of line 56 and its surrounding lines for more info.

I do have some sonos stuff on the network , but didn't setup with parental controls. What is line 56 and how to a get it. Sorry, if newbie question.

ok, I think I understand. I clicked on error message and it expanded code.

this is line 56
var ipmonitor = []; // [[IP, MAC, DeviceName, Type, http, printer, iTune], ...]

seems ok. The next error about $j, not too sure. I see it initialize, but it could be null

Well, the one browser I didn't try was Firefox and looking at some other posts about problems with javascript and ie. I decided to try firefox.

I didn't work, but f12 javascript-console errors seem more in line with what you are saying about device names.

SyntaxError: missing ; before statement
ParentalControl.asp()Parent...rol.asp (line 784)
[Break On This Error]

var MULTIFILTER_DEVICENAME = 'Emily's ipad&#62emily iphone&#62Iphone3'.replace(/...

Parent...rol.asp (line 784, col 36)

ReferenceError: $j is not defined
[Break On This Error]

$j('#radio_ParentControl_enable').iphoneSwitch('1',

Parent...rol.asp (line 784)
ReferenceError: initial is not defined

var MULTIFILTER_DEVICENAME = 'Emily's ipad>emily iphone>Iphone3'.replace(/...
Curious: What are the exact device names used in the control ? They were given by you ?

GH
ps: why am I asking? The last time I saw a problem quite specific at one installation, I was involved and it was because I had used some special characters in the Router name. That's why I'm asking about the client names if they were given by you. Just an idea...

Last edited:
Emily's Ipad, for example. Just a name kid called the ipad. I see my iphone is called Doug's Iphone.
I guess it reports this to dhcp server.

Interesting, I look at network map/clients just to see what my iphone is working like. On that list, it was Doug-Iphone. I saw my daughters stuff listed as well so I hit refresh and now most of these devices just show up my mac address.

Are you implying there are some restrictions of names of network devices?

Emily's Ipad, for example. Just a name kid called the ipad. I see my iphone is called Doug's Iphone.
I guess it reports this to dhcp server.

Interesting, I look at network map/clients just to see what my iphone is working like. On that list, it was Doug-Iphone. I saw my daughters stuff listed as well so I hit refresh and now most of these devices just show up my mac address.

Sractch that, slowing I see mac addresses getting changed to names in the client list.

Ok, I reset to factory defaults, and page came back.

I played with dhcp settings a bit: (static assign ip address to my phone, and give it a name). I see new name show up in client list.

Perhaps, I can static assign each device I want to time control and give each one a workable name.

router should handle this a bit more gracefully.
Ok, so page works now. What is the latest word on parental controls, do they work?
Thanks for your help.

Usually it shouldn't, but it happens sometimes when code is added or changed in the firmware. Merlin could tell if it is the case or not.

Am I right to say that one of the device name is exactly "Emily's Ipad"?

GH

Well, the one browser I didn't try was Firefox and looking at some other posts about problems with javascript and ie. I decided to try firefox.

I didn't work, but f12 javascript-console errors seem more in line with what you are saying about device names.

SyntaxError: missing ; before statement
ParentalControl.asp()Parent...rol.asp (line 784)
[Break On This Error]

var MULTIFILTER_DEVICENAME = 'Emily's ipad>emily iphone>Iphone3'.replace(/...

Parent...rol.asp (line 784, col 36)

ReferenceError: $j is not defined
[Break On This Error]

$j('#radio_ParentControl_enable').iphoneSwitch('1',

Parent...rol.asp (line 784)
ReferenceError: initial is not defined

There you go. Remove the apostrophe in "Emily's ipad".