What's new

PC + NAS in one?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Scooter92

Occasional Visitor
The title is probably little misleading, but checkout this video:

In this video, this guy builds a single machine, and partitions it using UNRAID to create a VM for this gaming needs, and several shares for items related to that (shadow play, backup, game storage, etc.). I'm in the midst of building a PC for editing video, and a NAS is on my list for reliable back up and I was just curious what your guys' opinion was of the validity of this setup.

Could use a lot of different options - Hyper-V and NAS4Free as an example (Hyper-V comes with Win10Pro).

I think the big issue is power consumption, as the entire PC needs to be on 24/7 for NAS purposes, and with the shared resources, you'll never have 100 percent - and heavy use on the "PC" side can impact performance of the "NAS" side...

And if the PC crashes, as they occasionally do, the NAS obviously will be impacted..

Interesting concept, but nothing I would engage in...

Just as a reminder - NAS is not a backup - need to back it up as well...

He partitions separate resources to both the NAS portion and PC gaming portion so I don't think they would effect each other under load. He demonstrates it at the end by making a file transfer to the NAS from the gaming VM while playing a heavy-load game. The result: no FPS loss in the game. Additionally, if the PC VM crashed due to some software issue, the NAS would remain running. If the PC crashed due to failing hardware or over-heating then the NAS would as well, but hardware issues effect NAS' and PCs alike.

Also, if a NAS isn't used as a backup, (which is something I've heard before in the past), it seems that it functions entirely as a middleman. Why wouldn't I just cut the NAS out and transfer directly to an online site or something similar?