What's new

Please explain step by step in Dutch or English how forward ports for torrents.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dikkiedirk

Regular Contributor
I use Transmission on a Linux computer for torrent downloading. It uses port 51413 but says the port is closed. How do I open this port in my router?

Please eplain, I tried it several times but cant get it to work.

The router has fw 3.0.0.420

I use Transmission on a Linux computer for torrent downloading. It uses port 51413 but says the port is closed. How do I open this port in my router?

Please eplain, I tried it several times but cant get it to work.

The router has fw 3.0.0.420
Hi,

First of all I wonder what the firmware version is all about: Seems that you are the only one with a rather old or even wrong 3.0.0.420 firmware version on the RT-N66U router... :rolleyes:

You can easily enable the port forwarding for the ports you need with this commands via telnet/putty connected to your router:
Code:
iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --destination-port 51413 -j ACCEPT
iptables -I INPUT -p udp --destination-port 51413 -j ACCEPT

This settings will be lost after reboot, so you better have Merlin's firmware version installed to make the configuration permanent!

To make the changes perament (bring the back on reboot) first you have to enable JFFS (only avaliable with Merlin's firmware) on your router under Administartion/System in the GUI
Persistent JFFS2 partition:
Enable JFFS partition = Yes
Format JFFS partition at next boot = Yes
Reboot and redo the Format "JFFS partition at next boot" option a second time and reboot again - sometimes the JFFS partion is not formated on the first time.

Create a user defined startup script (explained here) for the firewall configuration: /jffs/scripts/firewall-start

Content of the firewall-start script:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
/usr/sbin/iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --destination-port 51413 -j ACCEPT
/usr/sbin/iptables -I INPUT -p udp --destination-port 51413 -j ACCEPT

In case you have no editor installed (besinde the famous vi) you can create the script with this command:
Code:
cat << EOF > /jffs/scripts/firewall-start
#!/bin/sh
EOF

Do not forget to make the firewall-start script executable with the command:
Code:
chmod a+rx /jffs/scripts/firewall-start

Have fun!

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

Last edited:
Code:

Those rules will only accept incoming packets on port 51413, but it won't forward them to his machine running Transmission, which is what he needs. Also, why bother with jffs scripts when the web interface can port forward?

dikkiedirk, you can easily port forward using the web interface: under Advanced Settings -> WAN, choose the Virtual Server/Port Forwarding tab. Enable port forwarding and add a rule with service name "BitTorrent", port range 51413, set the local IP as the LAN address of the machine running Transmission, set the local port to 51413, and set the protocol to both (TCP and UDP). Add the rule and then apply the changes.

Hi,

First of all I wonder what the firmware version is all about: Seems that you are the only one with a rather old or even wrong 3.0.0.420 firmware version on the RT-N66U router... :rolleyes:

You can easily enable the port forwarding for the ports you need with this commands via telnet/putty connected to your router:
Code:

This settings will be lost after reboot, so you better have Merlin's firmware version installed to make the configuration permanent!

To make the changes perament (bring the back on reboot) first you have to enable JFFS (only avaliable with Merlin's firmware) on your router under Administartion/System in the GUI

Reboot and redo the Format "JFFS partition at next boot" option a second time and reboot again - sometimes the JFFS partion is not formated on the first time.

Create a user defined startup script (explained here) for the firewall configuration: /jffs/scripts/firewall-start

Content of the firewall-start script:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

In case you have no editor installed (besinde the famous vi) you can create the script with this command:
Code:
cat << EOF > /jffs/scripts/firewall-start
#!/bin/sh
EOF

Do not forget to make the firewall-start script executable with the command:
Code:
chmod a+rx /jffs/scripts/firewall-start

Have fun!

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

Thanks, indeed I mean fw 3.0.0.4.220

Those rules will only accept incoming packets on port 51413, but it won't forward them to his machine running Transmission, which is what he needs. Also, why bother with jffs scripts when the web interface can port forward?

dikkiedirk, you can easily port forward using the web interface: under Advanced Settings -> WAN, choose the Virtual Server/Port Forwarding tab. Enable port forwarding and add a rule with service name "BitTorrent", port range 51413, set the local IP as the LAN address of the machine running Transmission, set the local port to 51413, and set the protocol to both (TCP and UDP). Add the rule and then apply the changes.

Thanks also, I will try that first.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!