What's new

Please recommend router for p2p torrent use

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

setspeed

New Around Here
Hi, I don't want to annoy anyone by appearing lazy, however I have a lot going on at the moment and not enough hours in the day to start learning the ins and outs of something new I'm afraid. I'm looking for someone to recommend a router to me that will suit my needs, if you don't mind?
I currently use a Belkin Wireless G router, which has caused me nothing but trouble in the last few months. When browsing the internet it will sometimes (3x a day plus) disconnect randomly (sometimes reconnecting on it's own, sometimes not) and will pretty much always disconnect if I start to run any torrents, and require rebooting. If it isn't disconnecting then half the time the speed I'm getting to my wireless clients is utter rubbish (500kb) compared to what I get if I plug straight into the cable modem (10mb).

I've adjusted all settings in the router many times, trying to find stability and some semblance of decent performance, but failed. Also made adjustments to my p2p software as well so it's not requesting so many connections. Everything has failed.

I'm the sort of person who is inclined to do lots of research and fix stuff myself, but I've come up with nothing on this occasion. Hence I want rid, and just want something that works reliably with no hassle (I don't mind setting up obviously).

I have 5 devices connecting to the router (wired: XP computer, wireless: Win 7 laptop, dual-boot XP/Linux laptop, 2 Android phones) and the first two could be running torrents concurrently, but usually only one would be.

I am on a budget, under £50 would be best for me.
I am on a cable connection, not ADSL.
G required, N not needed for the forseeable future.
The signal has to travel just 25 feet through a floor or wall.
QOS would be nice, but not absolutely required as I can just run torrents at night when no-one's using the connection.

I hope someone can recommend something for me, please? As I said before, I'm not usually afraid to get stuck in and do the research myself, but time is an issue for me at the moment I'm afraid.

Thanks!

Last edited: