What's new

Please Review Cisco SA540 Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kc6108

Regular Contributor
SmallNetBuilder has reviewed just about every (if not all) Cisco/Linksys consumer and small business routers except for the SA500 Series routers. I would like to see the SA540 reviewed.

We have an SA540 in production right now and it has been solid. Previously we had an RV220W and before that a WRVS4400N v2. They weren't at all as reliable as the SA540 but we realize the SA540 has been around for a few years.

You could even sign up for a trial of ProtectLink Web, IPS, and Verisign VIP. We have found the ProtectLink Web functionality to be very beneficial. It is reliable, fast, current, etc. Even the IPS functionality has been *fairly* beneficial, but Cisco only puts out signature updates 3 - 4 times a year.

Thanks.

We have more cooperative folks in the Cisco Small Biz group now. So this just might happen.

Since you already own the product, why do you want to see the review?

I like your methodology for reviewing routers. You are consistent, thorough, and if you were to review it folks could easily compare it to the other routers you have reviewed.

Also, I think the SA540 is a now solid router. Although it had a rough start, it's now had four or five major firmware releases. I believe most of the major bugs have been ironed out, and a review from your team could verify (or disprove) my findings.

Sounds good. I'll see what I can do. Might be an SA520, though.

Sounds good. I'll see what I can do. Might be an SA520, though.

Great. I appreciate it. FYI, Cisco is planning on releasing another major firmware maintenance release for the SA500 Series routers the 3rd week of September. We are Beta testing it right now (version 2.2.0.3_1).

We have only been running it in production for 2 days now, but we have already noticed some fixes (uPnP now reliably comes up after a reboot) and improvements (uses less memory, better logging for Trend Micro ProtectLink Web).

You might want to wait a month to review this router until the latest firmware goes GA.

Thanks for the heads up on the new firmware. But right now, I'm not sure I'll be getting one for review at all.

We have been very impressed with the latest Beta firmware for the SA540. It is version 2.2.0.3_1, and the final build is due to go GA in mid-September. It has proven to be extremely stable in our very demanding SMB environment.

I sure hope you get one to review. It would be a shame to not review it because so many folks are avoiding it like the plague based on very old posts when the device was introduced with *buggy* firmware.

I don't want this device to go off your radar. :)

Again, if you do get to review it, please wait until 2.2.0.x goes GA.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!