What's new

Pls Help - Neighbor downstairs neighbor is blowing up my WiFi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

baltik

Occasional Visitor
So here's my sob story, I live in the city so there are about 9-10 networks within range. I just got a new downstairs neighbor who got Comcast installed with their inhouse router and it's completely overpowering my signal.

I've used inssider and switching channels doesn't help much because there is significant interference on Channel 1, 6 and 11 (downstairs neighbor is on 6 and 2 other neighbors with strong signals is 1 and 11)

my 5.4 band works well when in range but is unreliable throughout the house and has range issues.

My Linksys E4200v1 is centrally located in the house so not a lot of improvement can be made from a placement standpoint

Basically my options are to use wifi extenders (preferably 5.4) or ideally just buy a more powerful router that can overpower his?

Any ideas on what router/extender I can use?

Personally, I'd go to 5GHz. if 2.4GHz. was unusable, and do as you suggest, add a wired access point or two to extend your wireless. Using a more powerful router that will overwhelm your neighbors isn't really going to solve anything, and just leads to a contest to see who can blast the other out, no one wins at that. What you're really interested in is working wireless, not creating a wireless war zone, I assume *smile*.

As to what routers to use, it depends on what you do with your internet. The Asus RT-N66U is a nice, reliable wireless-n router on 5GHz., has a good signal. The one that I have covers my whole house on 5GHz. while the Linksys E4200v1 that I had did not. I'm not sure how big your place is, but if you could even try replacing your Linksys with the RT-N66U, and that might give you whole house coverage on 5GHz.

There are other choices if you want to get into wireless-ac on 5GHz., but then you'd have to replace your main router with a more expensive wireless-ac router. I wouldn't suggest that at the moment, unless you're an adventurous soul with lots of money. If you get a wireless-ac router, you'll need wireless-ac access point(s) and wireless-ac clients.

much appreciated - well reasoned response, one other avenue I may explore is trying DDWRT on the Linkys, I know that doesn't necessarily solve my issue but seems like I have little to lose at this point...

I feel your pain as my router picks up 30+ WiFi networks.

DD-WRT probably isn't going to make much of an improvement as while you may be able to increase the transmit power of your router's WiFi radio this isn't going to do anything to improve the strength of the signal coming back from your WiFi devices.

Your real solution is to connect as many devices to your router using Ethernet, Ethernet over powerline or MOCA. Use Wifi only for devices that do casual net surfing and checking e-mail.

To have a usable and reasonably speedy WiFi signal in my congested signal environment I use multiple APs. One AP for every room where I want good WiFi. Most of my devices use only 2.4 Ghz so if everything is working well I normally can get download speeds of 30 - 40 Mbps vs 75+ using an Ethernet connection.

What ever you try avoid wireless repeaters.

As others have stated, trying to fix a wireless problem by throwing software, or more wireless power isn't going to fix it. Maybe, just maybe, more power could help a smidge, but not likely. 5 GHz and more access points connected via Ethernet are your answer.

Hi,
OP mentioned only ch. 1,6,11 Wonder he tried other channels. In my neighborhood on 2.4GHz band, only channel I can depend on is ch. 9.

For what it is worth ... I link inSSIDer A LOT ... it gives you are GREAT view as to what is happening around you ... but ... I am not sure if I am sold on their "link score".

When I benchmarked my network on various channels, I found I got better throughput on both upload and download on a channel that only "scored" 55. Yes, there were channels that did report 100 and they were not even close in throughput.

Anyway ... as others have stated ... if you can ... move to 5 Ghz. This may be challenging as not everything is 5 Ghz yet. I have most of my network on 5 Ghz. The only 2.4 I have is my HP printer, an old iPod, and a security camera. I suppose if I got adventurous, I could run cable to the camera and printer; but, I do not need screaming bandwidth for any of those.

Unfortunately too ... the best location for my home, is right by my microwave. Every time the wife uses it during the day ... my 2.4 Ghz drops to its knees ... running on 5 Ghz fixed that nicely.

Also ... don't underestimate powerline adapters. They are coming down in price and can surprise you with the throughput you may end up with at the end of the day.

Thank you all for the solid advice, seems like 5Ghz is the way to go for me..

can anyone reccommend a good cheap 5ghz AP or a router that can be set up as an AP?

Before you buy the 5 Ghz APs look at how many 5Ghz adapters you are going to need for devices that will accommodate them.

If your smartphones, tablets don't connect to 5 Ghz natively what are you going to do about them?

Thankfully we all have pretty current apple products do all 5ghz comaptible.. just need some good/cheap extenders

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!