What's new

Port forwarding troubles

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Vexira

Part of the Furniture
I'm having an issue with port forwarding, I'm trying to get my Minecraft bedrock server to show up as with player numbers onand green connection bars game clients, they currently show as red but I'm still able to connect.

Now for the twist, when I use a tool to create a port forward via upnp, everything works as should the server appears as green shows the player numbers as wall as green connection bars.

I'm running an RT-AX 88U 384.14, I tried .13 and it's about the same in results.

As a temporary work around I'm looking for a upnp script that allows me to get forward working with miniupnpc in both windows and Debian if anyone could help it would be much appreciated.

With all due respect you're probably asking your questions in the wrong forum. You either want to fix an issue with the Minecraft server, or seek help writing scripts for Windows and Debian. Neither of these things are particularly relevant to Merlin's firmware.

Sorry my main question was is anyone having port forwarding issues on the RT ax 88u with Merlin 380.14, for some reason it's not working properly for me when I go wan set the ports to the PC I address reserved, as in the Minecraft server is not visible out side of my network.

I tested a upnp port mapping tool with the same port numbers and it worked perfectly the server is visible I had a friend help me test.

Sorry for the confusing first post.

When it's working there is a list of players out of 10 and 4 green connection bars, when the server is off or the port forwarding is not working it will display a red dot, which consider that I've set up a port forward should not be the case since I've tested multiple port numbers and the results have been the same.

Last edited:
*update*
I think there is just an issue with my PC please disregard this.

Not sure if you fixed your port forward issues but I found this tool really helped with my port forwarding issues:
That was recently mentioned in this thread.

The website also has excellent port forwarding tips and guides also which maybe able to help.
No it doesn't. That site is full of misinformation. One of my recent comments about it was here. (I've just checked again and the PS4 information is still wrong after all these years). It looks like some of the more recent additions are accurate (even they can't get it wrong all the time) but they haven't corrected the majority of the old entries. It is apparent that the people writing the guides are lacking some of the most basic understanding of networking.

They also make statements like this: :eek:
Is it Safe to Port Forward to a DVR or Security Camera
You should not be worried about forwarding a port to a security camera, DVR, or other consumer device. Like gaming consoles these devices are designed to be connected directly to the Internet. It is not possible to use a DVR or security camera to access your home network. When you connect your DVR or security camera to the Internet through a port forward the only thing that you are putting at risk is the stuff provided by that device. Worst case scenario is that people will be able to see your video feed. As long as you setup a password in the device then you are secure even with a port forward.

Answer:
YES! It's totally safe to forward a port to a DVR or security camera.
<speechless>

That was recently mentioned in this thread.

No it doesn't. That site is full of misinformation. One of my recent comments about it was here. (I've just checked again and the PS4 information is still wrong after all these years). It looks like some of the more recent additions are accurate (even they can't get it wrong all the time) but they haven't corrected the majority of the old entries. It is apparent that the people writing the guides are lacking some of the most basic understanding of networking.

They also make statements like this: :eek:

<speechless>

Wow was never aware of this information, I still have to learn about open ports and its risk involved I too must admit I thought it was ok to forward a port for say torrenting or an app or device, but ill be the first to admit it I loath networking but you gotta somehow love it, bit like a nagging wife.

I was following the dedicated server guide I'll check the port forwarding if this working today, hopefully It was Just a bug in windows firewall, but I'm still not sure because the same issue was present in Debian, just incase I need to factory reset the router again.

Last time I used the trial for that app I discovered that the install directory had all the exes for the tools in it and the pay wall was in the launcher it self so it stopped using it.

For the most part I've been looking at miniupnp pc guides on how to build it and use it if upnp mapping is the only way the Minecraft bedrock server tool will work then for the interim I'll revert back to Debian and work on the upnp port mapping script.

I'm 50/50 that the issue is with the software from what I've been reading about but I don't want to rule out the router just incase I need to reset to factory since I dirty flashed form .13 to the .14 Bettas then straight to .14 final.

So after factory reset it now decides to work must have been just needing one.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!