What's new

Port forwarding/upnp/DMZ problems

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jhoffy22

Occasional Visitor
As an extension to this thread I wanted to condense my problem that I found in hopes that I will finally figure this out. No matter what combination of things that I do, if I enable upnp, port forward the correct ports to open up my NAT, or enable DMZ, I experience considerable amounts of intermittent lag. If I do none of the above (enable upnp, DMZ, or port forward), I do not have any lag problems whatsoever. However, my NAT is no longer open and is moderate.

I'm just short of giving up on this router. I've googled around and it's a definite problem (assuming firmware) by Asus that they choose to dismiss. There are numerous instances of inexplicable Xbox live lag whilst using this router.

Any ideas what is causing this series of events?

Before anyone asks, I've hooked my Xbox up directly to the modem (Arris 822) and the lag doesn't exist, at any point in the day. The same goes for my old WRT54G, no problems with lag whatsoever.

What firmware are you running and how did you upgrade to that version?

Did you try using the Firmware Restoration tool to apply the latest firmware?

I've tried just about every firmware available. The issues occurs on both pavadan's custom firmware and the stock firmware, on all versions. I upgrade my firmware via uploading the .trx file.

I've tried just about every firmware available. The issues occurs on both pavadan's custom firmware and the stock firmware, on all versions. I upgrade my firmware via uploading the .trx file.

Do you reset the router after upgrading? After resetting, do you restore your settings via a config file or do you manually re-enter your settings?

Thanks.

I'm wired when doing all tests. Results can be replicated wirelessly as well.

I do a restore to default settings in the routers GUI both before and after installing a new firmware.

I'm wired when doing all tests. Results can be replicated wirelessly as well.

I do a restore to default settings in the routers GUI both before and after installing a new firmware.

And you restore your settings manually after resetting to defaults?

Sorry to keep bothering you about this.

No it's fine, I'm glad that you're trying to help me troubleshoot the problem. I don't change any settings at all so I don't have a need to restore my own settings. I leave everything as is since upnp comes enabled by default.