What's new

possible bug > ipv6 firewall

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

teknojnky

during my experimentations with trying to get tunnelbroker ipv6 working, I encountered a strange issue where I had been able to ping ip6 from PC to my asuswrt.

Then at some point my ip6 ping stopped working and I could no longer ping ip6 to or from the router.

After much further experimentation I disabled the ip6 firewall.

Now my ip6 pings were working again for my local network devices.

I messed around some more, turned ip6 firewall back on, and my ip6 pings continued.

Later I was doing something else, and the ip6 pings stopped again.

As soon as I disabled the ip6 firewall, my pings returned.

So;

- turning ip6 firewall off immediately returned my ip6 pings.
- turning ip6 firewall on, had no immediate effect (ip6 pings continued)\
- changing something else later, blocked my ip6 pings.
- turning ip6 firewall back OFF, immediately returned my pings.

I'm not sure what exactly I did when the ip6 pings got blocked, but I am assuming that whatever it was caused the ip6 firewall to start blocking local pings again.

Ideally, I would like to keep the ip6 firewall ON, while still being able to ping locally from any ip6 in my /64.

thoughts?

Manipulation of any knobs on WebUI is asking the firmware to run some command line utilities under the hood to get the actual work done.

For example, if you turn some knobs related to firewall/LAN/WAN/wireless pages, firewall rules might be inserted or modified. The way Asus handles this is kinda patchy which I personally don't like and hence don't use WebUI much.

A simple rule of thumb is to get your settings changed to your liking. Then reboot the router. After that don't touch any knobs again.

See if this solves your puzzle..

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!