What's new

Possible to add a regular router on to a mesh system to keep isolated devices?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kyle Limestahl

New Around Here
I'm looking into purchasing a mesh system like Google wifi, but there isn't much control you can have over that system so I'd like to keep my asus ac68u for Internet of things devices and ip cams that I don't fully trust being on my main network. I haven't set up the asus yet to be isolated, but is it even possible to do something like this? Thanks

Google WiFi does not support AP mode. Eero, Luma and Orbi do.

Thanks. Not entirely sure what an AP is. Does that allow what I was asking? If using one of those systems that allows an AP, will the devices I want to isolate be on the "same" network perse? That way I could still interact with them, but keep them contained? For instance: if I had a smart light bulb or ip cam I'd like to interact with it from my smartphone, but don't want it to be able to access my other devices or act as a security back door. Sorry for the questions, I'm trying to learn about networking, but I'm having a hard time finding 'explain like I'm 5' versions for the completely networking illiterate. There aren't many resources that break it down from the beginning that I am finding. Thanks.

Yes I found that out after I picked up a 3-pack. If you connect any mesh to the primary the app will not permit bridge mode. Spent some phone time w/Google wifi support to confirm this, as well as not being able to set a WAN static IP. They gave me some crap that the primary node knows its connected to a router DHCP and not a modem. All I can say is wow - wrapped up the 3-pack and its going back to Micorcenter later today.

AP mode puts the WiFi points on your router's network and disables routing in them. "Containing" certain devices is a different feature, which can be accomplished by putting them on the Guest network. This would give them internet access, but no access to other devices on your network.

AP mode puts the WiFi points on your router's network and disables routing in them. "Containing" certain devices is a different feature, which can be accomplished by putting them on the Guest network. This would give them internet access, but no access to other devices on your network.
Thanks. How would that then work to be able to connect with them from the regular network to the isolated one? That way info and permissions only flow one way? Like if I had a lightbulb I wanted to control from my phone connected to the regular network (a) to the isolated network (b) but not have (b) control anything on (a)?

Nope. That would not work using a guest network.. You're looking for something more complicated than most routers will do. You've into VLAN territory I think. Maybe someone else will have a solution.

I'm looking into purchasing a mesh system like Google wifi, but there isn't much control you can have over that system so I'd like to keep my asus ac68u for Internet of things devices and ip cams that I don't fully trust being on my main network. I haven't set up the asus yet to be isolated, but is it even possible to do something like this? Thanks

Orbi does support AP mode I'm told...

So yes, one could put an Orbi set into AP mode, have another Router/AP in AP mode, and that would work...

Challenge is keeping things separated out if one wants to isolate some traffic on the non-Orbi (assuming Orbi is the primary)...

There, some action would have to occur on the LAN side and bind that VLAN...

Most consumer routers can't do this - there are other options however... but this takes some knowledge (e.g. one can go under the hood on some - asus for example, better is RMerlin's build there), or go for a non-consumer router that is more business focused like Microtik or pfSense (if one wants a powerful, yet, DIY situation).

The one exception that does come to mind for consumer routers and VLAN's that would fit - Airport Extreme, as it binds what they consider as Guest Network to a specific VLAN number that is carried thru to the edge if Airport is the primary edge router - not documented, but it's there, and even then, it takes some networking knowledge and skills to make that work.

But the Airport solution isn't any different in levels of difficulty working with the under the hood stuff with Asus and 3rd party firmware - the third party firmware may have additional capability on top of what Airport can offer (while being capable, doesn't have that extra nudge of being FOSS/Open)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!