What's new

Power Link Adapter NOOB Help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

steve_togo

Occasional Visitor
Hi I bought Tplink AV500 nano powerline kit (TL-PA4010) kit. Main use is for Tivo connectivity.

I am now confused, people say these are really insecure and I am not able to update the firmware either in Win 10.

For another $15 I can upgrade to the AV1000 TL-PA7020. Do you think it is better that i upgrade? Also are these the latest Homeplug config?

Thanks,
Steve

All Homeplug communication is encrypted by default. The only thing you need to do for an extra measure of security is to change the default encryption key. This would keep anyone else on your electrical circuit from connecting to your network. Since Homeplug signals don't go through transformers, this is mainly a concern in apartment buildings.

Just follow the instructions for pairing the adapters. This usually involves pushing a button on one until a light blinks, then pushing the same button on the other adapter within a minute or so.

AV500 is older technology. AV2 MIMO is the latest. These are usually designated AV1200, but this varies. Check our test ratings here.

Since Homeplug signals don't go through transformers, this is mainly a concern in apartment buildings.

here in australia we have all been moved to what are called smart meters that have no transformer or coil in them so the signal wanders out into the grid and those around you can see it

it wise to change the PNN private network name or your pair of adapters so other owning the same types dont connect to you as yes they are all encrypted but all encrypted the same

Thank you both for answering to my question. I get that it is better to invest in the newest tech. Also on the AV1200 how good is the security? Do I need to be worried about anything?

Thank you both for answering to my question. I get that it is better to invest in the newest tech. Also on the AV1200 how good is the security? Do I need to be worried about anything?

Push the button on the adapters, and they'll form a private group - other than that, change the group name in the powerline adapter desktop...

The security method and encryption level is the same for all HomePlug products. Follow the pushbutton procedure SFX described.