What's new

Privacy Badger found tracker in ASUS firmware - query.yahooapis.com

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

krick

Regular Contributor
I installed the Privacy Badger plugin for Firefox.

When I load the web gui for my ASUS RT-AC68U, Privacy Badger flags one tracker: query.yahooapis.com (see attached screenshot). Any idea what this is for? If it's not really needed, I'd like to see it taken out of the merlin builds and forks if possible. I really don't like the idea of there being trackers in my router firmware.

asus_privacy_badger.png

I see. It's used when you click on a name in the client list to get the popup/tooltip that shows the manufacturer info based on the MAC address.

Ah, that is good to know. I would not worry about it. You could always block access to that IP/hostname.

Every server you connect to has the potential to be a "tracker".

Privacy Badger on Chrome doesn't come up with anything.

It doesn't show up until you bring up the client list and click on a client name/mac address.

It's not anything serious. I just noticed it and got spooked. Now that I know why it's there, I'm cool with it.

It doesn't show up until you bring up the client list and click on a client name/mac address.

It's not anything serious. I just noticed it and got spooked. Now that I know why it's there, I'm cool with it.
Hi,
I think when you click on a client name/mac address it's downloading some more information about the clients MAC. I don't think ASUS store everything on the router, it's to big database to save all worlds mac's on it. I don't know, just some thoughts