What's new

Problems Accessing SNB via Squid Proxy?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thiggins

Mr. Easy
Staff member
Hi all,

I've had reports of HTTP 500 errors when accessing SmallNetBuilder and SmallCloud builder from people using a Squid proxy.

Anyone else seen this or can run a test to confirm?

Thanks

Yes, there is a problem.

If running Squid, you just get:

<script type="text/javascript" src="modules/mod_janews/ja.news/ja.news.js"></script>

You have to disable X-Forward ( which seems to confuse SNB ), "If not set, Squid will include your system's IP address or name in the HTTP requests it forwards."

Oddly ( a head scratcher ), if you re-enable X-forward and restart Squid you get an Authentication window, until you disable it again and restart. This leads me to believe that a LAN side address (192.168.x.x) in the X-Forward block is causing the problem.

( I run with HAVP and X Forward disabled, and didn't see the problem until I did a re-install to test )

Attachments

• auth.JPG
    auth.JPG
    20.2 KB · Views: 566
Last edited:
Thanks, Greg. I figured you'd be the first to respond. :)

I'm aware of the fix. The question is why. X-Forwarded-For is a valid HTTP 1.0 and 1.1 header.

I tried changing to a non private IP. Still have the probem.

Thanks, Greg. I figured you'd be the first to respond. :)

I'm aware of the fix. The question is why. X-Forwarded-For is a valid HTTP 1.0 and 1.1 header.

I tried changing to a non private IP. Still have the probem.

Are you running a proxy server up front for SNB? Is it possible that your proxy server is getting confused, seeing a LAN address in the X-Forward, and trying to resolve it?

It appears from this end that the X-Forward-For is getting to you, and trashing the response.

Nope. No proxy in front of the servers as far as I know. At this point it's smelling like an .htaccess config issue.

Problem found and fixed. It was a recently added module that was misbehaving.