What's new

Tutorial pyLoad Download Manager through Optware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I've edited torrentexpander.sh and it works. But unrar is not! With files larger then 1MB it gives "Out of memory" error message. Looks like it's not fit for embedded devices. I even compiled unrar-free, but it can't extract new types of RAR archive.

The bottomline: while there is no efficient open source RAR alternative, there is nothing we can do.

Thanks for trying. That's a bummer though cause there are tons of torrents that are rar'd nowadays. Is it possible to use a swap file setup to overcome the memory issue? No experience with this, just thinking out loud...

Thanks for trying. That's a bummer though cause there are tons of torrents that are rar'd nowadays. Is it possible to use a swap file setup to overcome the memory issue? No experience with this, just thinking out loud...

A swap file would help, but expect even slower performance, and the rest of the router will also see a performance degradation if some of its own services end up being swapped out.

All in all, not recommended.

One thing to check is that when you run unrar, its current directory isn't /tmp but somewhere on your disk. Just in case it would try to create a temporary file in its current directory.

I don't recall the Unrar functionality of WDLXTV having any memory-related issue tho. Odd.

I'd recommend creating a swap space and probably turning it on whenever needed. Swap space is definitely needed when running e2fsck as well. Without it, the router seemed to reboot some times while doing fsck on a large disk.

I'd recommend creating a swap space and probably turning it on whenever needed. Swap space is definitely needed when running e2fsck as well. Without it, the router seemed to reboot some times while doing fsck on a large disk.

Just out of curiosity, has e2fsck been more reliable since I moved to the e2fsprogs package instead of the Busybox applets?

Just out of curiosity, has e2fsck been more reliable since I moved to the e2fsprogs package instead of the Busybox applets?

I haven't really looked into it since very long since it runs for me at boot automatically through the scripts. I think I never really had any issues after I added swap with the initial builds itself. I do check the logs every now and then and didn't see any problems.

A swap file would help, but expect even slower performance, and the rest of the router will also see a performance degradation if some of its own services end up being swapped out.

All in all, not recommended.

One thing to check is that when you run unrar, its current directory isn't /tmp but somewhere on your disk. Just in case it would try to create a temporary file in its current directory.

I don't recall the Unrar functionality of WDLXTV having any memory-related issue tho. Odd.

So is everyone agreeing here that it's not possible to get hands off unraring setup on an asus router?

Ok, this is a working torrentexpander for our routers, don't say I didn't warn you about it work speed: torrentexpander.sh.zip
Please, install some dependencies and torrentexpander.sh itself:
Code:
opkg install bash transmission-remote transmission-web unrar unzip wget coreutils-du coreutils-id
cd /opt/bin
wget http://files.ryzhov-al.ru/Routers/torrent%20expander/torrentexpander.sh.zip
unzip ./torrentexpander.sh.zip
rm ./torrentexpander.sh.zip
Then edit transmission configuration file while transmission is stopped:
Code:
# grep script /opt/etc/transmission/settings.json
    "script-torrent-done-enabled": true,
    "script-torrent-done-filename": "/opt/bin/torrentexpander.sh",
Thats it.

Is it possible to use a swap file setup to overcome the memory issue? No experience with this, just thinking out loud...
256MB RAM + Swap file? No, it's not right.

I've checked about dozen of different RAR archives. "Out of memory" error appears only twice. Thanks for moving my attention back to this problem. Now I know it's not related to archive size.

Last edited:
Thats it.

All I can say is wow!!! You people amaze me...Thanks so much to everyone that makes this possible.

Ryzhov, might I suggest making this a little tutorial thread of its own so that people have an easier time finding it. I have a feeling there are many others who are trying to find this solution. Good work here!!!

Ok so torrentexpander is working really well, and it's actually surprisingly quick at unpacking these torrents.

One last request, is it possible to have the unpacked file moved to the parent folder once the unpacking is complete? And better yet is it possible to delete the files and folders that are created during the torrentexpander process after moving the file to the parent folder? Thanks again for this...

Alright so for anyone that is with us so far that wants to know how to move the extracted file to a new folder you need to edit torrentexpander settings. You can do that by logging into your router through putty and entering:
Code:
/opt/bin/torrentexpander.sh -c
From there you can change all kinds of settings that affect torrentexpanders behavior. You can read up on them a little here. The settings you need to change to make a torrent move to a new or different path after the extraction is complete are the following:

"destination_folder=no" change this to a new path example: destination_folder=/mnt/sda1/Torrent/Extracting
I don't believe this absolutely has to be done, but everything seems to stay tidier this way and the guy that created torrentexpander recommends using a different directory to extract files (includes sub folder of original torrent but for simplicity I just created an extraction folder so I can easily monitor all files being extracted)

"tv_shows_post_path=no" and "movies_post_path=no" change "no" to the path where you want your shows and movies to end up. I keep all my tv and movies together but you can keep them separate, example: /mnt/sda1/TV and /mnt/sda1/Movies

"tv_shows_post=no" change no to either copy or move according to your preference. I choose "move" because I don't want to keep duplicates for no reason and that way all the old files in the "Extracting" folder will be deleted once completed.

"movies_post=no" same goes for this as it does for tv shows.

I also have a couple other settings changed which may or may not change the way this behaves. So if you're a noob like me just change them and all will be well. They are as follows:

"tv_shows_post_path_mode=s"
"force_single_file_movies_folder=yes"

So if you setup torrentexpander per ryzhov's instructions and change these settings you should have the following.

1) download a torrent with transmission
2) download completes and torrentexpander is activated
3) torrentexpander extracts the file in the "extraction" folder
4) the resulting file is then moved to the desired destination and the extraction folder is empty once more.

Good luck, I won't be much help beyond this because I suck at all this...

It is concerning the N56u but I suppose it would be most apt to post my query here since the tutorial has enabled me to almost cross the finishing line. :)

I have followed this tutorial to a tee and got pyLoad working fine apart from the fact that I have to manually start the S95Pyload script on every boot.

Being on Padavan's custom firmware, I am not sure if access to the jffs partition is as straight-forward as flicking a switch considering there is no option built into the firmware. Any clarity on this matter would be much appreciated, even if it implies not being able to auto-load pyLoad on every boot.

If I remember right, on RT-N56U all script in /opt/etc/init.d/ starting with S and a number (like S95Pyload) will be executed automatically on every router reboot

As I had followed your tutorial up to the post mount script, the S95Pyload script is visible in /opt/etc/init.d which is in fact present on the attached USB drive (/dev/sda5 on /opt type ext3); however the Web Interface is not accessible.

Manual execution through PuTTY shows the following output, after which the WebInt becomes accessible:
Code:
/opt/home/admin # /opt/etc/init.d/S95Pyload start
You have chosen:
sh: Old: unknown operand
sh: New: unknown operand
Starting PyLoad
Daemon PID 712

So apparently, the script does on auto-execute on start. Any other possible means to get the script to load after boot?

Deleting

in having issues deleting my files or moving them , iv set my folder permissions correct but each file i download is set to read only , is there a way to change this in pyload so i dont have to mess about deleting my files

sorted now , i missed 1 of options off in permissions setting in pyload

Last edited:
downloading

i dot know if this is a problem or not but basically when using pyload on my router my connection is maxing out at about 3MB/s instead of 10MB/s like it does on my PC, is this down to the hardware of the router and this is its max or is there someting im missing , theres no limiter on and setting are at default

Pyload auto start up

Does anybody know why on every reboot the auto start up script which i already saved gets deleted so i have to manually start the app with script...???

Thanks for your help :)