What's new

QNAP performance issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gorak

Occasional Visitor
I recently purchased the QNAP TS-253 Pro (with 2x3TB WD Red Drives without any RAID) mainly due to the advertised read/write speeds, but I was terribly disappointed with the performance of the NAS. I have the following lab setup and I'm getting the below mentioned performance results.

Case 1:
======

RHEL 6.4 running under VMware Workstation 10 on Windows 8.1 with a gigabit virtual NIC (e1000e driver)

iSCSI - 15 MBps read/write
NFS - 14 MBps read/write

Case 2:
======

RHEL 6.4 running bare metal on Dell Inspiron N5010 with 100Mbps NIC

iSCSI - 14.5MBps read/write
NFS - 15MBps read/write

Case 3:
======

Windows 8.1 running on bare metal with Gigabit NIC

iSCSI - 9 MBps read/write
CIFS - 90 MBps read/write

I was expecting QNAP to saturate the Gigabit Ethernet for both iSCSI/NFS but it was no way even near it.

Also I'm quiet confused on how I'm able to get 14.5 MBps on a 100Mbps link which is only capable of 12.5MBps max throughput ???

Note: For all my performance tests, I used dd for file creation on the target device. On Windows I used crystaldiskmark. If there is any other tool for more accurate benchmarking, pls let me know....

Can someone pls throw some light on this??