What's new

QNAP QTS 4.0 Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Good and to-the-point QTS 4.0 review.

As a QNAP user, I must admit that I am rather disappointed by QNAP regarding their firmware updates for the following reasons:

• Under the hood upgrades are postponed e.g. Current version of samba does not support SMB2, NFS v4 is also not supported
  • Security is not taken seriously. e.g. OpenSSL version used in 10 years with known vulnerabilities.
  • Some commonly desired features/applications are long-due. e.g. a NAS application for Amazon Glacier.
  • CLI tweaking is needed in many cases for disabling unwanted features. Some applications initiate daemons even though they are disabled.
Turn to the QNAP forums and you will see a lot of users complaining about these. Obviously QNAP is desperately trying to catch-up with Synology without much success I am afraid.

I'm a bit disappointed by the firmware upgrades from QNAP. The new 4.0.2 is fine for me, but the HD station feature of my TS 469L is shirt. There are some driver issues from intel causing issues is displaying videos in XBMC.

Would assume it would be high priority, but it is already a problem for a half year now.
We are also still working with XBMC 11 instead of 12.

They mostly just made the UI 'pretty' and didn't fix anything underneath.

The UI got reaaallly slow, the 4.0.2 update made it a little faster, but not fast enough.

QNAP needs to get things working before adding new features that also don't work reliably.