What's new

QNAP TS-120 - $116USD at Amazon - 05/05/15

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sfx2000

Part of the Furniture
Saw this earlier today... I'm not an Amazon affiliate - but this is an excellent deal...

qnap_ts120_amazon.png

Have to agree with stevech.

Even 2 bay NAS' are not what I like to recommend. 4 bay and higher, especially when they are the only file server around.

4 bay and higher, especially when they are the only file server around.
Why?

Single bay NASes are perfectly fine as long as they are properly backed up or don't serve as primary storage. With 6TB available in a single drive, why hassle with RAID if you don't have to?

Any data worth having a NAS for is worth having multiple copies of (even on the same NAS).

I didn't mention any RAID configuration. Just multiple disks. ;)

A single large drive is still a single point of failure for all your data. A backup of a NAS is another NAS, not a USB or eSATA external based enclosure.

Why?

Single bay NASes are perfectly fine as long as they are properly backed up or don't serve as primary storage. With 6TB available in a single drive, why hassle with RAID if you don't have to?

@ Tim Higgins - we should probably move this thread over to the General > Hot Deals perhaps... sorry for misposting..

sfx

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!