What's new

QNAP TS809 Throughput inconsistencies

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pardysound

Occasional Visitor
Hi there,

I am trying to figure out why the upload speed to my NAS is so inconsistent. My Setup is i7 iMac, Dlink Gigabit Router, Airport extreme, and the QNAP 809.

The QNAP is a raid 0. Most of the time I will get in the neighborhood of 60-90mb/s on a good day 100mb/s+ but from time to time that will drop and when it does it will sit at 11mb/s. I have tried disconnecting from the share and reconnecting, sometimes that works, but not always. Thinking it could be a read issue I will restart the iMac make sure there are no disk intensive apps running and try again, but again that will only work sometimes.. I have not found the silver bullet to consistantly clear the issue, so I cant really narrow down what is the cause. Any ideas ?

CP

Just checking, are you quoting megabits or megabytes per second?

How are you measuring speed?

Is this wired or wireless?

SMB protocol or AFP?

Have you checked the QNAP's log for activities during the periods when you are seeing the slowdown? Maybe a media server is reindexing?

Hi,

I am quoting Mega Bytes.
I use Path Finder as my file manager, when you initiate a file transfer it tells you what the speed is in Megabytes / sec.
All wired.. I only use wireless for the phones :)
AFP Protocol.

I have not checked the log.. however I don't use any media server.. But I will check that next time.

Thanks

Thanks for the answers. Maybe Path Finder is the culprit. You should try some plain ol' drag and drop file transfers and see what happens.

Sorry.. should have mentioned that.. I have tried just dropping out of pathfinder and using Finder.. same result..

Not sure if this would have anything to do with it.. but I noticed that my Imac and the router are both set to 1492 MTU, but the NAS is at 1500 and I cant seem to change the setting on the nas... (Router wont go above 1492)