What's new

QOS or no QOS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kingshawarma

New Around Here
Hi,

I have a Asus RT-AC3100 with Shaw cable internet, 600mbps download and 20mbps upload. My Speedtests during the evening generally come out to about 500mbps on average while devices are being used in the home. There are 4 people in the house and the total devices that are used are as follows. Devices that are hardwired are: PS4 (daily gaming for sport games for myself and brother plays Fortnite), VOIP Phone, 2 TV Boxes (Internet based), wireless devices are: 4 cell phones, two laptops and 1 smart TV. The PS4 (gaming and netflix), phones, laptops, VOIP phone and at least 1 TV box is going at all times

The router has a traditional QOS and Adaptive QOS, I have been using the Adaptive one as that is what was recommended out of the box, but after doing some research in some forums, a lot of people have noted the QOS for home networks may not be needed.

Wondering if someone can give some insight if I should use QOS or not based on my setup, and if the traditional one is better than the Adaptive QOS. Also, should I use Merlin's firmware for my the usage that is done in my home, I'm not tech savvy so I won't be messing around with any setting other than QOS and leaving things as is. So if Merlin's firmware will provide better performance I will do a factory reset and install that firmware.

Last edited:
If you are happy like it is dont touch a running system!
With your speeds I think there is no need for QOS, do you feel it is slow sometimes while playing or problems with TV than you could try them, I dont use it at all with 250/30Mbit/s line and all fine here.

If you are happy like it is dont touch a running system!
With your speeds I think there is no need for QOS, do you feel it is slow sometimes while playing or problems with TV than you could try them, I dont use it at all with 250/30Mbit/s line and all fine here.

I'm starting to have issues with my VOIP phone so I was planning on doing a factory reset and making sure I have the proper firmware and then determine if I should use QOS or leave it. I am going to run the DSLREPORT test to see my bufferbloat score and go from there. Just not sure if I should remove all devices connected to my router first prior to running it, and if I should use my phone or laptop as my laptop only has a 2.4ghz card but my phone can connect to the 5hz channel.

I'm starting to have issues with my VOIP phone so I was planning on doing a factory reset and making sure I have the proper firmware and then determine if I should use QOS or leave it. I am going to run the DSLREPORT test to see my bufferbloat score and go from there. Just not sure if I should remove all devices connected to my router first prior to running it, and if I should use my phone or laptop as my laptop only has a 2.4ghz card but my phone can connect to the 5hz channel.
you should use an ethernet connetion to the router. And better buy a cheap 5G wifi-stick for your laptop (or a new laptop as it must be very old).

Wired:
  • PS4 (daily gaming for sport games for myself and brother plays Fortnite)
  • VOIP Phone
  • 2 TV Boxes (Internet based)
WiFi:
  • 4 cell phones
  • 2 laptops
  • 1 smart TV.
The PS4 (gaming and netflix), phones, laptops, VOIP phone and at least 1 TV box is going at all times
VoIP across a 600/20Mbps internet connection with other potentially high bandwidth demanding devices can be a challenge in terms of the internet connection and home network.

I tried QoS on my home network but removed because my devices weren’t that starved for bandwidth. In your case, you may want to try. I would put VoIP as highest priority, PS4 and 3 TV as 2nd, and then everything else as 3rd.

Personally, I wouldn't.
If your willing to slow down your connection to reduce the bufferbloat and latency then sure, go for it.