What's new

QTS admin access rights

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ola Malmstrom

Regular Contributor
According to instructions from QNAP, I disabled the old admin user ID created a new one with a different name.

However using this new admin, I can't access other user's files under their home directory.

How do I get access to other users files in the correct way?

However using this new admin, I can't access other user's files under their home directory.

Then you are not admin...

Two places - first is to create the new admin account, and the second place (before you disable, never remove, the old admin account) is user groups, where your newly minted user needs to be part of the administrators group - otherwise...

Also check your permissions for the shared folders, it's not automatic when creating a new admin user - you have to explicitly go there and set them

Thanks, but sorry, done that, doesn't work.

I login as a user. Can access all my files under home.

I login as the new admin. Cannot see the files and folders under the users home directory

Is there anything I can do if I login as root remotely using a command prompt?

Hmmmm searched for alternatives outside this forum.

If I enable admin again, give the new admin access to users home directory, subdirectories and files and then disable admin again - would that work? Are there any risks that I destroy something?

I login as the new admin. Cannot see the files and folders under the users home directory

Check permission - group memberships - admin has visibility to all users, so like i mentioned, you are not admin if you can see all users' files...

QNAP has not made this easy for pre-QTS 5 installs, and if you did the upgrade from QTS4 to QTS5, i do recommend backing up the NAS and starting over, as when you go down this route, it will set things up correctly for user/group/world...

Thanks sfx2000! I noticed that my new admin, although in the administrators group, does NOT automatically get access to the home directories.

When enabling admin again and logging in (as admin), I did get access to the home directories. So I investigated access rights on the home directories. The new admin did have RW access to the homes directory, but not to some of the underlying directories. So I added RW access for my new admin to the ones where it was missing, disabled the admin user again and voila, the new admin now has access to all home directories as expected.

So my original problem has been resolved.

However, I now have a couple of other questions:
  1. Does inheritance of group privileges work as expected under QTS5?
  2. Do I really need to start from scratch? I don't want to lose the 50.000 or so files I have on the NAS (raid1, backed up daily to another NAS in another house . Also backed up bi-monthly to a separate USB-attached hard drive).

However, I now have a couple of other questions:
  1. Does inheritance of group privileges work as expected under QTS5?
  2. Do I really need to start from scratch? I don't want to lose the 50.000 or so files I have on the NAS (raid1, backed up daily to another NAS in another house . Also backed up bi-monthly to a separate USB-attached hard drive).

1. Should follow if you do it from the WebUI (don't try to mess with things under the hood via SSH...)
2. If you have upgraded from 4.3.x to 5.0 - I went down this path, and it was a thousand paper cuts - after living with it for a year or so, finally just backed up the entire NAS, nuked it from orbit (really easy, shut it down, pull the drives, turn it on, follow directions - one of the methods keeps the drive data intact, the other formats and lets you start over)

The 5.0 upgrade did not remove older 4.3 (and earlier) packages, so it was a mutant that didn't really behave like 5.0, and much of the older packages were broken.

Always have a back up on the NAS - and for things like this, a current backup - Hyrbid Backup Sync is in the App store, and it's a great tool to backup to external USB or to another NAS using RTRR protocol (very fast).

After the wipe and reload - it was like have a new QNAP nas all over again - things across the board were much better (and more stable)