What's new

Question about 3rd party firmware N66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pawnslinger

Occasional Visitor
I have been using my new N66U router now for about a week, and I still have the stock, .112, firmware installed. I am pretty happy with it, and I am not one to upgrade or change firmware hastily. But I have been accumulating some shortcomings of the factory firmware... and I was wondering if newer or 3rd party firmware would change things.

One of the things that bothers me, I know it is a rather picky thing, is the units used on the traffic monitor. It shows the bandwidth usage in KBps. And I am constantly having to recalculate to Mbps. Not a big huge thing, but almost all of my other software that I use measures bandwidth in terms of Mbps.

Any of the other firmwares use Mbps??

You would like Merlin's work then. His newest release is 64k NVRAM enabled, and you can have the traffic monitor report in KB, MB of GB's. It's souped up version of Asus' own firmware. You can get the same flexibility with Tomato but unless you need a lot more features than the stock firmware offers then Merlin's version is the way to go. We are lucky to have him.

Cool! Thanks for the replies. I think I will give Merlin's work a try. I like the fact that it is easier to install than Tomato. I am not sure I understand how to install Tomato, so I am somewhat leery of it. But, if I understand correctly, Merlin's AsusWRT installs just like the official factory upgrades.

I like that it allows you the choice of KB, etc.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!