What's new

Question Regarding "Administration - Performance Tuning" Panel

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AntonK

Very Senior Member
Hi,

I'm new to Merlin, and have it installed on an RT-N66U.

Why is the temperature readout under Administration called Performance Tuning?

Thanks,
Anton

Here is the simple answer. Some users over-clock their routers for higher performance. When the clock freq goes up, the CPU temps go up as well. If the temps exceed a certain threshold, the system will fail. So monitoring the temps helps to manage over-heating caused by over-clocking and thus its a performance tuning aid.

Hi,

I'm new to Merlin, and have it installed on an RT-N66U.

Why is the temperature readout under Administration called Performance Tuning?

Thanks,
Anton

Because during early development of the RT-N66U (the first router based on Asuswrt), Asus were considering implementing a cooling fan. That page was containing the temperature, fan speed, and settings to increase the wireless output power. All of these together were related to performance tuning.

The cooling fan got scrapped before the product launch, so Asus removed the page. I added it back to keep its temperature monitoring features. Everything else was scrapped.

Thanks very much for your responses and time. Appreciated! Now I'm off to the Wiki to read more about the firmware....

Because during early development of the RT-N66U (the first router based on Asuswrt), Asus were considering implementing a cooling fan. That page was containing the temperature, fan speed, and settings to increase the wireless output power. All of these together were related to performance tuning.

The cooling fan got scrapped before the product launch, so Asus removed the page. I added it back to keep its temperature monitoring features. Everything else was scrapped.

Do you know what the temperature parameters are for the RT-N66U router are?

Do you know what the temperature parameters are for the RT-N66U router are?

Sorry, I don't understand your question.

Sorry, I mean what the temperature range is for normal operation, ie. what's the hottest the router should get if it's in healthy condition.