What's new

Question(s) for RMerlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ceeKayy

Occasional Visitor
Hello, I was planning on going to Best Buy in the AM to get their RT-AC66r I was wondering what's the difference in the "r" as opposed to the "u" unit besides it was made for Best Buy retail.

Also, which of your firmware would you recommend for the AC66 as I really only use 3rd party firmware in my routers as stock I really don't like. I currently have a RT-N56u that I had for about a year running Padavan's firmware since his c-p11 build sometime ago.

And could you provide me a link to the firmware of yours you think is best for the AC66.

And lastly, does the AC66 support legacy devices on the 2.4 band? I have about 9 wireless devices on my network and they are all .11n devices except for one laptop that is old and is a 11.g laptop, which the person that uses it loves it and doesn't like using another laptop. I suppose I can also get a cheap n adapter to use instead of that laptops G card.

Thanks

Hello, I was planning on going to Best Buy in the AM to get their RT-AC66r I was wondering what's the difference in the "r" as opposed to the "u" unit besides it was made for Best Buy retail.

No difference at all. Same hardware, same software. Just a different SKU.

Also, which of your firmware would you recommend for the AC66 as I really only use 3rd party firmware in my routers as stock I really don't like. I currently have a RT-N56u that I had for about a year running Padavan's firmware since his c-p11 build sometime ago.

And could you provide me a link to the firmware of yours you think is best for the AC66.
There's only two really: the release, and the experimental one. Experimental has Dual WAN enabled. So you will probably want to grab the latest non-beta release for the RT-AC66U, which is 3.0.0.4.266.23b at this time.

Links are in my signature.

And lastly, does the AC66 support legacy devices on the 2.4 band? I have about 9 wireless devices on my network and they are all .11n devices except for one laptop that is old and is a 11.g laptop, which the person that uses it loves it and doesn't like using another laptop. I suppose I can also get a cheap n adapter to use instead of that laptops G card.

802.11g devices still work.

Thanks...I'm hoping this will be a good upgrade from an already good router. When I got it I only had about 3 things on wireless now I'm up to almost 9 and heard good things about ASUS AC unit.