What's new

R7000 dedicated duty plus C7000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

phrehdd

Occasional Visitor
Below is what I wish to set up. I cannot put in a cable connection between them.

C7000 Cable Modem <----- 802.11ac----->R7000+3 Ethernet Cabled devices (possibly USB printer).
(what is the best WiFi to have above work fastest and then consideration for other WiFI in home)

The parameters -
1) both are located on the same floor of 2 story house.
2) where the R7000 reside today, it does WiFi reasonably well (attached presently to DSL modem)
3) When replacing the DSL, the cable modem router will reside same floor another room.
4) Best I can tell, both locations should do WiFi well enough for home with C7000 possibly having
advantages (may do better/further out in back yard).
5) unsure how to explain walls between rooms as there is an offset open* hallway between them so at worst,
2 walls partially blocking direct line between.
6) total devices WiFi (not including routers) 8. 6 802.11n, 2 802.11ac (for now).

I would appreciate any sage advice here. I have to make sure the cabled connected devices (PCs) run as well or better than the soon to be removed slow DSL connection. I should say I am not married to any of the equipment as this is more about a long term solution so willing to consider alternative hardware.

Last edited:
Where is the R7000? I see two C7000 in your description.

What is your current setup?

What are you using with your current DSL setup?

If you have coax cable between the rooms, I would try MoCA. Otherwise I'd try AV2 HomePlug before trying a wireless link. I'm guessing you have brick / stone construction, which will kill the 5 GHz signals. AC routers produce high throughput only in 5 GHz.

Why don't you see if you can get the cable guy to install a Ethernet drop between them devices while he is installing your cable.

The original install of cable (coax) was a challenge based on what was under the house. Presently, it reside in one room that is adjacent to the "TV" room and thus cable was carried along the floor through the adjoining wall to the TV room. Where the cable first shows up in the home, it has an extension cable to the next room mentioned meaning I can disconnect the cable at the original point to add the cable modem router at that point or by the TV. I cannot add upstairs or downstairs any additional cabling (coax or Ethernet) and this is why it is a challenge. I have tried the Zyxel AV2 1200 powerline and it does work but is relatively slow.

The R7000 attached to the original DSL modem router (802.11b) presently handles the load, set so that there is no double NAT etc and work quite well. The goal remains to make sure that the cabled devices to the R7000 continue to work well. Given the DSL is perhaps rated at 11mb down, my guess is that 802.11n 2.4 would serve the entire home well and maybe set up the wireless bridge/extender for which ever is a strong connection and preferably 5g. Again, the upstairs gets a connection from WiFi with the R7000 (2.4 802.11n) which it could not do before with the DSL modem router (802.11b).

I hope the above helps and not trying to be difficult here. The parameters were not set by me otherwise I would have everything by cable and only portable devices (iphones, ipads, tablets and laptop) attach to the network via WiFi.