What's new

R7000 or R7500

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jordan Flanaghan

New Around Here
I was about to buy the R7000 for a decent price when I noticed the R7500 isn't much more expensive, but looking at reviews (mostly a year old) everyone seems to say the R7500 has issues and has much lower reviews despite being on paper a stronger device.

I was wondering which to buy, mainly for gaming and streaming.

The R7500 is a first generation 4x4 MU-MIMO "ready" router, using Quantenna chipset for the 5 GHz radio. I have seen no sign that makers of these routers will release firmware that enables MU-MIMO. There are many reports of 5 GHz instability and compatibility problems with Quantenna based routers.

Second generation MU-MIMO enabled routers using QCA chipsets are now shipping. It looks like AC2350/AC2400 class routers are a dead end.

My guess is you are seeing lower prices so that stock can be cleared by unsuspecting buyers.

Buy the R7000.

For the el-cheapo route, a TP-Link WDR-xxxx running Gargoyle. Else, the R7000 or AC68U, with factory firmware, Merlin, DD-WRT or Tomato. Most value for the money by far. If core routing performance falls short for whatever reason, then drop in an EdgeRouter Lite and use the all-in-one for access point duty only. Any way you break it down, you come out ahead on performance and reliability, and for considerably less money and headache than trying to find the silver bullet with a single overpriced AC 2350(or higher) unit.

Such is the status of things, at least for this year. :)

Without even knowing that the R7500 has severe issues, the fact that the R7000 has the excellent (from reports) XVortex RMerlin fork available is what makes it the best choice other than another RMerlin supported router.

No question that I'd get the R7000 over the R7500. The R7000 is stable, mature, and performs really well. Wide choice of firmware, including tomato, dd-wrt, and even RMerlin. Great router. I've been using it for going on 2 years now, and despite a rocky start for the Netgear stock firmware (which is also stable now), there's lots of great firmware out there for it now.

I agree it's the most stable router not restarted for 42 days and up running.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!