What's new

R7800 router takes 2 minutes or more to connect the internet ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

aligh

Occasional Visitor
It is normal to r7800 router taking 2 minutes or more to connect the internet ? or there is something wrong in the setup ?

After a reboot? Yes.

Yes after reboot. But why it is slow like that ? my former TP link router is faster than r7800 in connecting to the internet?

It may not be "connecting" that's the issue. It may be a DNS problem. If you have a static IP address you can ping, you can test this theory. There is an issue with this router where I have to unplug the cable from the WAN port then reconnect after it's rebooted in order to get DNS to work. You can tell there's an issue by looking at the 2nd LED. If it doesn't change from amber to blue, you may be able to connect via IP addresses, but DNS isn't available.

It may not be "connecting" that's the issue. It may be a DNS problem. If you have a static IP address you can ping, you can test this theory. There is an issue with this router where I have to unplug the cable from the WAN port then reconnect after it's rebooted in order to get DNS to work. You can tell there's an issue by looking at the 2nd LED. If it doesn't change from amber to blue, you may be able to connect via IP addresses, but DNS isn't available.

It doesn't have a static IP address. the 2nd LED is always white when the router is connect.

It doesn't have a static IP address. the 2nd LED is always white when the router is connect.

I should have been more clear. if you can ping 1.1.1.1 (Cloudflare's server) but can't load www.google.com then you have a working Internet connection with a non-working DNS. I understand the 2nd LED is white when everything is working. What I'm suggesting is that sometime within the two-minutes it takes to start on boot, it may actually be connected, which you can confirm by doing the ping test.

Yes after reboot. But why it is slow like that ? my former TP link router is faster than r7800 in connecting to the internet?

The speed of rebooting is nice, but not a necessary thing for a device like a router that is turned on and forgotten about. :)

The router may need to initialize different aspects of its features in a certain order and do so with a hardware restrained BOM.

What features and customizations do you have on your R7800?

What did you do to prepare it for first use?

Have you ever reset it fully to factory defaults after flashing the firmware you want on it?

The speed of rebooting is nice, but not a necessary thing for a device like a router that is turned on and forgotten about. :)

But here in my country the power runs out a lot so the router reboots often

The router may need to initialize different aspects of its features in a certain order and do so with a hardware restrained BOM.

What features and customizations do you have on your R7800?

I think I didn't get that .

What did you do to prepare it for first use?

I used it just a router

Have you ever reset it fully to factory defaults after flashing the firmware you want on it?

No , I just update it normally without reset to factory defaults, Is it necessary to do that ?

As long as it is working as you need, no. But in your case, you may see an improvement if you do so.

I believe it is 'necessary' when upgrading from certain versions to the latest (even if they are right after each other) and possibly also related to what features and customizations are needed/used.

HTH. :)

As long as it is working as you need, no. But in your case, you may see an improvement if you do so.

I believe it is 'necessary' when upgrading from certain versions to the latest (even if they are right after each other) and possibly also related to what features and customizations are needed/used.

HTH. :)

but the factory reset will be before or after the upgrading ?

After you flash the firmware you want to use, do a full reset to factory defaults.

A factory reset is a good thing sometimes.

My Cisco RV340 router takes a little bit to boot up as it tests each port on boot up. But I never reboot my router unless an upgrade or long power outage.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!