What's new

R9000 to RAX200 - Backed up R9000 settings.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Synomenon

Regular Contributor
Is it safe to restore / upload my R9000's settings to the RAX200?

I really just need my Address Reservation list from the R9000, but couldn't find a way to export just that.

No.

But feel free to try it if wasting a few hours doing it more than once is satisfying to you. :)

Is it safe to restore / upload my R9000's settings to the RAX200?

I really just need my Address Reservation list from the R9000, but couldn't find a way to export just that.
Ah so not even a way to export the Address Reservation list?

You cannot use backup configs across different models, no matter the brand

Since day one of routers I have always been told directly and read articles or saw in posts from Gurus, that you shouldn't (some said "DON'T") even use "Back-ups" to restore the device they came off of. The possibility of corrupt info that was corrupt on before the back-up or caused by the back-up being loaded back onto the device. And until recently when doing testing on a certain device, I never did that. BUT just got so tired of constantly having to input a ton of info, that I use to not minded doing, I used back-ups to set-up these devices. Especially when the set-up app has a selection to do so of only three ways to set-up the device. Ironically the backed-up info being restored a couple times turned out to be more stable and longer lasting than raw input. It looks like the newer gen of devices are more stable in this regard. But I'm not condone it. I just did it when I was super lazy. And I am severely familiar with Netgear Devices and a Pin-Hole Reset and Raw Input is the best thing you can do.

But you "NEVER!" use a back-up for one Device on another. Whether the same brand or not.

Ah so not even a way to export the Address Reservation list?
Manual job. But possible through telnet and nvram.

Source router:

Code:
nvram show | grep reservation

it should display your address reservations. reservation1, reservation2 etc. Example

reservation1=192.168.1.100 AA:BB:CC:CD:EE:FF SERVER1

Target router:
Code:
nvram set reservation1="192.168.1.100 AA:BB:CC:CD:EE:FF SERVER1"
nvram set reservationw="192.168.1.101 11:22:33:44:55:66 SERVER2"
. . .
nvram commit

Voxel.

To make a backup and restore of your R9000:
Backup:
Code:
nvram show | grep reservation[0-9] >x.txt
Restore:
Code:
while IFS="=" read -r P V; do nvram set "$P"="$V"; done <x.txt; nvram commit
reboot

But I don't know how to restore to an RAX200.

If they can be exported as plain text, that would be fine. I could just copy and paste then.

I'll try those commands.

Wow, ok so this thread was unnecessary. I logged into my R9000's web UI, went to the Address Reservation page then simply copied all the text and pasted into Notepad. Came out perfectly. Lol, thanks everyone.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!