What's new

Rackmount UPS recomendation?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BeachBum

Regular Contributor
Can anyone recommend a good rack mount UPS please? Preferably ≦2U, ~700 watts, ~$300ish & hopefully quiet!

I know about APC (Expensive). Are Minuteman or Cyberpower any good?

Thanks

Edit: This looks like it fits the bill:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0016P7HJA/?tag=snbforums-20

Are CyberPower good?

Last edited:
I have had good luck with Cyberpower at my house. I have one of the smaller 1u backups in the same series you referenced. It is two years old and is going strong. Does what it is supposed to do. I use it for my networking equipment so I cannot speak to any of its tools that you may use to power down a workstation. I would certainly purchase one again for home use if I needed another backup for something.

Personally I use Tripp-Lite for cheaper less critical items and and Eaton for servers/networking

Eaton, Tripplite, and APC are all good units. Just do an apples to apples comparison within your price range, and if possible wait for a good deal to pop up.

Check and see what external API/Services they expose for external power status and shutdown - APC can be a bit odd compared to the others, but my understanding is that they've aligned with many...

Agreed SFX. Though plugging in any of the SNMP functionality with Whatsupnow Gold is sweet, no matter the vendor from a monitoring perspective. I think APC was the first player on the market so they designed their own standard (defacto) and then changed to the dejure standard the industry settled on later. You see that a lot with the big players as they try to play nicely with everyone else so they don't have to hear about screaming customers complaining that their stuff sucks because it doesn't work with anything else.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!