What's new

Radio Labs 500mw 802.11n Amp

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

most of them will push your wattage over legal limits. I don't know of anyone who has got caught. there is also a concern with other networks, you can put out so much power you end up bringing other WiFi networks to there knees around you.

the amp will boost the good and bad signals. keep all coax cables as short as you can, move all other wires away from the router and amp setup to reduce any noise around your antennas and cabling.

I don't know Raidolabs as a manufacture/vendor but but a .5 watt amp is not bad if you pair it with proper antennas.

As already stated, many amplifiers will usually push your signal strength over legal limits. Regardless - over the limit or not - it is actually illegal to add an amplifier to a wireless configuration unless it was bundled with / or option of a manufacturer's package that has been approved by the FCC.

Although *most* people will not get caught, there is an FCC enforcement van that does drive around my area because of the EXTREME outputs of CB Radio's people were using. Although enforcement started in my area due to CB, they have also started to crack down on all wireless signals including cellular and 802.11 standards.

I myself have never received a violation as a well planned network usually does not need this kind of power, however I have heard of people getting fines anywhere from several hundred to 10's of thousands of dollars! This was a rare case where someone created a PtP link between another one of his business locations and there just happened to be a hospital in between that wasn't too happy to say the least!

I have used amplifiers in last mile delivery situations (20 miles+), but it simply is not necessary and extreme caution must be used! Remember that the b/g/n bands use 2.4Ghz the same frequency used by microwave ovens! Say for example you were to use a SOHO router (avg output 50mW at most), that 1/2W amplifier, and a 12dBi patch/panel antenna - the output at the antenna would be 8.8W (minus minor cable/connector loss) which is more than enough to cook you from the inside out (literally!) if you were standing in the antenna's way!

If you are to used an amplifier, something we all like to try, be sure to follow these rules or you will run into physical or legal problems...

PtP configuration - no more than 1W @ EIRP (antenna)
(connecting 2 devices or networks)

PtMP configuration - no more than 4W @ EIRP (antenna)
(connecting 1 device to 2 or more devices, omni-directional, grid array, etc)

RF uses a logorithmic scale, just remember the rules of 3's and 10's...

-3db = 1/2 power
+3db = 2x power
-10db = 1/10 power
+10db = 10x power

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!