What's new

Random Reboots Post 374.41 (Merlin build)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

saytr79

Occasional Visitor
I've done a factory reset (post flash) on both 374.41 beta 1 and 374.41 (powered the router off after one for the factory resets), manually configured the router (no restore from backup), and i still experience random reboots. I've done a reset via the Asus console and by holding the WPS button down, same result.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks :)

What model of router usually that helps.

Need more details:

- Router model
- Type of WAN interface
- Are you running Download Master
- Are you running any Optware/Entware packages
- Under what circumstances do the reboot occur
- When did the problem start

Hi,
Logic says if previous f/w did not do that, first step is going back to that f/w to confirm
what's going on.

Need more details:

- Router model
- Type of WAN interface
- Are you running Download Master
- Are you running any Optware/Entware packages
- Under what circumstances do the reboot occur
- When did the problem start

RT-AC66U
-Direct from the ONT to the AC66U (Verizon Fios)
-No
-No
-During regular usage i.e. online gaming and or streaming
-The problem started about a month ago (during Version 3.0.0.4.374.4561) which prompted me to look for alternatives such as your 374.41 build(s)

RT-AC66U
-Direct from the ONT to the AC66U (Verizon Fios)
-No
-No
-During regular usage i.e. online gaming and or streaming
-The problem started about a month ago (during Version 3.0.0.4.374.4561) which prompted me to look for alternatives such as your 374.41 build(s)

Are you confirming that it's an actual reboot and not a service being restarted? Check the uptime on the router's System Log page. If it's not reset back to 0, then the router isn't rebooting.

If it's indeed reboot, try disabling HW acceleration.

After that if it still crashes, there's a chance your router is defective - have it replaced under warranty.

Are you confirming that it's an actual reboot and not a service being restarted? Check the uptime on the router's System Log page. If it's not reset back to 0, then the router isn't rebooting.

If it's indeed reboot, try disabling HW acceleration.

After that if it still crashes, there's a chance your router is defective - have it replaced under warranty.

Yes, thats the first place i look when the the hardwired connection and the wireless connections drop. Is there a difference between rebooting the router via the gui and powering off the router via power button ?

Also, is there a difference between doing a factory reset via the gui vs holding the WPS button down ? I've seen you mention something in regards to clearing out the NVRAM after a FW update. What is the most effective way to accomplish this ?

I will try to reset to factory again (via WPS button) and reapply the settings before disabling HW acceleration. Is your suggestion to disable HW acceleration based on the idea that the router may be overheating and rebooting as a result ? Is it normal for the 2.4 GHz radio to hover around 50C and the 5GHz around 59C ?

Thanks again for the assistance.

Last edited:
Yes, thats the first place i look when the the hardwired connection and the wireless connections drop. Is there a difference between rebooting the router via the gui and powering off the router via power button ?

Only difference is that a complete power cycle will also reset the electronics. I have seen a few cases over the years where a computer's USB port would stop working even after a reboot, but a complete power cycle properly reset them into a working state.

A power cycle of the router should only be needed if there are weird hardware-level issues, or the router got stuck trying to reboot (that can often happen after a reboot, as the FW filesystem is in an unknown state following the FW overwrite).

Also, is there a difference between doing a factory reset via the gui vs holding the WPS button down ? I've seen you mention something in regards to clearing out the NVRAM after a FW update. What is the most effective way to accomplish this ?

All methods should do the exact same thing, unless something in the shutdown sequence is causing settings to get written back to NVRAM.

I will try to reset to factory again (via WPS button) and reapply the settings before disabling HW acceleration. Is your suggestion to disable HW acceleration based on the idea that the router may be overheating and rebooting as a result ? Is it normal for the 2.4 GHz radio to hover around 50C and the 5GHz around 59C ?

No, some ISPs have exhibited compatibility issues with HW acceleration, which can lead to random reboots.

Asus Merlin Help

I've also been having issues with my RT-AC66U rebooting with both Merlin and Asus Firmware Builds. This has been ongoing, as I've tried each firmware as it releases only to conclude in the same result. When I run Tomato (shibby) on the router - it runs rock solid, however I do not get the performance of the Merlin build.

I'm not sure of the etiquette for posting my log, but please see the attached pdf. Any insight is appreciated!

Attachments

• Asus Merlin Log.pdf
    201.5 KB · Views: 280
I've also been having issues with my RT-AC66U rebooting with both Merlin and Asus Firmware Builds. This has been ongoing, as I've tried each firmware as it releases only to conclude in the same result. When I run Tomato (shibby) on the router - it runs rock solid, however I do not get the performance of the Merlin build.

I'm not sure of the etiquette for posting my log, but please see the attached pdf. Any insight is appreciated!

Try disabling HW accelerations.

I've tried disabling HW Acceleration as well as disabling UPNP but had no luck. The router will still reset about ever 2 - 3 hours or so. The 374.41beta 1 provided the longest uptime at almost 3 days before the same thing happened. The HW acceleration was "on" during that time as well.

I've been trying to trouble shoot this for the past 2 months or so on my own (toggling settings, reseting nvram, resetting to factory defaults after upgrading firmware, etc.) and other troubleshooting ideas discussed on the blog.

I feel like there is a setting or some "feature" on the ASUSWRT that is not on Tomato builds which causing the issue - just can't figure out what it is.

I feel like there is a setting or some "feature" on the ASUSWRT that is not on Tomato builds which causing the issue - just can't figure out what it is.

Do you have any USB device plugged in? Your problem could be caused by a service related to USB storage, such as the DLNA server.

No USB devices installed. I do have a Synology NAS storage unit connected via ethernet cable with a static ip.

Is it the upnp telling the router to reset or is it a function of the "rc_service?" I'm not clear on what the log is telling me, but is that even possible (i.e. another device having the capacity to tell the router to reset via the upnp protocol)?

Saw a reboot yesterday when I turned Samba guest access on and back off so I could get at some files on an external USB hard drive. It left the LAN in some funky state where my Win7 desktop thought it didn't see an internet connection even though it was working. I just hit the reboot button and that cured the issue.

Saw a reboot yesterday when I turned Samba guest access on and back off so I could get at some files on an external USB hard drive. It left the LAN in some funky state where my Win7 desktop thought it didn't see an internet connection even though it was working. I just hit the reboot button and that cured the issue.

I just reinstalled Asus Merlin on my router (did the factory reset and hard reset after installing new firmware), and disabled the Samba and DLNA share on the router. About 2 hours later, the router rebooted (HW Acceleration NOT disabled) See attached the log for reference.

Now I'm going to disable the HW Acceleration and see how far I can go. Will post the log when it resets (fingers crossed it won't). Had not tried the Samba disable previously - so if you have any other recommendations - throw them at me.

Attachments

• Samba Off.pdf
    410 KB · Views: 255
This is the line in your log that stands out to me.....

Dec 31 20:00:14 WAN Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly.

Have you tried resetting 'DHCP query frequency' from Aggressive Mode to Normal Mode?

This is the line in your log that stands out to me.....

Dec 31 20:00:14 WAN Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly.

Have you tried resetting 'DHCP query frequency' from Aggressive Mode to Normal Mode?

I have not yet, but will try if the router resets. I did not even pick up on this in the log - thanks! Right now I've disabled the samba share and DLNA in addition to the hardware acceleration. So far I'm 22 hrs and counting. My record is 3 days so time will tell!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!