What's new

Recommend a Hardware advice forum?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

distracted247

Occasional Visitor
Can anyone recommend a suitable forum for advice on questions like "what server would be most suitable for task xyz"?

I'm trying to decide on the final configuration for my server and I could do with some additional input. I have read reviews and seen performance figures and I have compared cost and power consumption etc but I could really do with a second and third opinion on the matter to avoid any buyers remorse.

Thank you

What type of server are you going to setup?

what will the purpose be of the server?

Is it for home use, office use of production use?
Do you need rackmount or tower?

What advise are you looking for?

I've created this draft list of needs and wants which is far from final or complete. Also due to my limited knowledge I don't even know if some of it is possible.

So making the assumption that I have all the software, where it exists, to do the following I was hoping to find out what sort of minimum hardware requirements I would be looking at?

I would not like recommendations for specific models, just a specifications yardstick to use when I start shopping.

I would like to add that this will be rack mounted, connected to one or two FibreCat SX80s via 4Gb Fibre and will be for home use - traffic will be extremely low.

Need
  • Have a Secure Network - I know this seems obvious but it's a primary concern and I am willing to devote hardware to network security.
  • Create a Central Storage Location for Devices on Home network
  • Run a Media Server
  • Have a place to install and learn how to use MSDN Software
  • Have a tool for heavy lifting when the laptop is unsuitable
  • Have a tool to work from remotely with my phone as the display and input device

Want
  • Record, pause and serve up Television programs
  • Host a couple of very low traffic websites
  • Always on VoIP
  • To make a USB only Printer / Multifunction device available to any device on the Network
  • To make a USB only Scanner available to any device on the network

Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------

In case you really think a specific model would be suitable for the task please don't recommend it unless you have read the following.

I do not need any recommendations for specific models because with my budget as tight as it is I am unlikely to be buying anything new and the huge selection of items and wildly varying prices (even on the same part) in the used market means searching for a specific product makes little sense. Especially when there may be a used product that meets my needs, exceeds the recommended models specification and is available at a much lower price.

However if you have read all this and still want to make a recommendation for a specific model then my primary concern when going through the possible candidates is cost (initial and long term), then noise.

I know rack servers are noisy - especially 1U versions - and this isn't a problem for me. However if the only difference between 2 servers that offer similar features and performance (whatever the size) is the amount of noise they produce then I would like the one that sounds a little less like a jet taking off.

Last edited:
I'm actually wondering if something like this with the right software might be able to handle what I would like to do or if it will struggle:

Core i3 540 / xeon x33xx
4GB RAM DDR3
7200 rpm SATA system drive

I ask because I nearly pulled the trigger on a new Fuji rx100 s6 but stopped myself. I'm now looking at different hardware, but I wonder how the Fuji might have coped.
It would also be nice to know if I should be looking to buy second hand high end kit (3/4+ gens old) or low end new kit (discounted outgoing generation stock at least).

So after some searching around it seems as though any current hardware will be able to do what I want.

So it's just a case of searching for the hardware that offers the best bang for my money.

I'll go trawl through some used adds... thatddaway ==>>

Right now I am trying to decide between:

a New
Fujitsu RX100 S6
i3 540
4GB RAM
DVD-R/RW drive
No HDD
for around £400

or

A Used
IBM 3550 M2
e5504
16GB RAM
DVD-R/RW drive
500GB HDD
for around £500

prices aren't fixed.

I'm struggling to decide between the benefits of the warranty with the new model minus the additional cost for the drives and caddies vs the IBM with presumably no warranty but more RAM and small drives included. Then there is the difference between the performance of the CPUs in each server plus the potential for upgrades to think of and power consumption.

It's a fair bit to mull over and all the while there are alternatives becoming available and the possibility of these two disappearing.

Any advice? I know they should both be suitable, I just want to get the one that is the best fit for how I intend to use it now. :confused:

EDIT: neither will be a problem in terms of noise.

Last edited:
I think I'll take this question elsewhere since the original request was never answered and I have now altered the question. Thanks to those who took the time to read/respond.

Mods please close if applicable, thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.