What's new

Recommendation for wireless bridge, no repeating

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Grump

Regular Contributor
I am providing wireless access to a large outdoor gathering. I have enterprise grade outdoor gear to handle the access points on 2.4ghz and 5ghz. I'm concerned some customers may not have wireless networking gear, so what I need is a wireless bridge that doesn't repeat and step all over my enterprise AP channels/QoS profiles... most of the SOHO bridges I've reviewed are forced into repeater mode. I would prefer the bridge to only have 1 ethernet port, be dual band, no repeater, connects to any wireless network (brand agnostic), and be as cheap as possible. I'm not adverse to installing ddwrt or tomato if required, but I'd prefer a stock solution. Any suggestions?

You mean you want a WiFi client bridge to be a client of the WiFi network and provide an ethernet port - and that connects to an ethernet switch - so that people without WiFi can connect?

If so you could select one of the Engenius bridge projects and connect that to any Ethernet switch to provide ports for users to plug into.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ESTMATCH&Description=engenius&N=-1&isNodeId=1

I may have misunderstood where you say
"I'm concerned some customers may not have wireless networking gear"

that's cond of confusing

Ya so if I setup an AP and they have an old desktop on the ground (picture an outdoor convention with booths), I have to get them wireless service. Those engenius devices look like they do proper bridging without broadcasting. I'll order a few to play with. Thanks for the suggestion!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!