What's new

Recommendations for 100m2 flat?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

uwotm8

New Around Here
My ASUS RT-AC87U has served me well for years, but I’ve just learned that it’s EOL.

Despite this week’s ASUS incident, I wouldn’t be opposed to getting another piece of ASUS equipment.

My main hurdle is that my fiber equipment is housed within a concrete utility cupboard. Each room has Ethernet, but all cables lead to this cupboard.

I’ve not had any noticeable signal problems with the one RT-AC87U, though I’m wondering if it is worth going mesh with wired backhaul? Or would the close proximity between equipment just lead to interference between them?

Gone down a rabbit hole of reviews, so would really appreciate some real world experience

My ASUS RT-AC87U has served me well for years, but I’ve just learned that it’s EOL.

Despite this week’s ASUS incident, I wouldn’t be opposed to getting another piece of ASUS equipment.

My main hurdle is that my fiber equipment is housed within a concrete utility cupboard. Each room has Ethernet, but all cables lead to this cupboard.

I’ve not had any noticeable signal problems with the one RT-AC87U, though I’m wondering if it is worth going mesh with wired backhaul? Or would the close proximity between equipment just lead to interference between them?

Gone down a rabbit hole of reviews, so would really appreciate some real world experience

Definitely no need for mesh in that space. Just use the ethernet off the wan port to put it anywhere outside the cupboard and you should be all set.

Just because your router is EOL doesn't mean you have to replace it right away. Maybe once there is a vulnerability and they don't update the firmware (a major one they may still release an update for it). But ax86u seems to be highly recommended here. But may want to use yours til the wifi7 models are more common at which point there should be deals on the ax ones.

Thanks for the reply! I’ll look into the ax86u and see if I can convince my better half that it won’t be an eyesore under our television

Thanks for the reply! I’ll look into the ax86u and see if I can convince my better half that it won’t be an eyesore under our television

You can put it pretty much anywhere you want (other than inside a concrete cupboard) to cover 100m2/1000ft2, unless there are a lot of concrete walls. Central and higher is better but can usually find a compromise where it won't stick out.

If you have an ISP router and just want wifi, various companies (Ubiquiti, TP Link, Engenius, others) make flat white ceiling mounted units that blend pretty well, not sure if you'd be able to run a wire to that though.