What's new

Recommendations/thoughts for Ethernet Cabling & Switch(es)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks everyone, I'll take a look at that site you've suggested!!!

So they're totally isolated from the rest of the Switch, & thus will only inject power over the run(s) I'm wanting power, & hence not affect any of the other runs at all? And so only device(s) sending data over the power-injected run(s), could -potentially- be affected perf. wise?

Is this correct??

I imagine the tolerances would be so high, that it'd be a long time (if ever) before I get anywhere close to noticing the perf. being affected, I don't even have any links within the LAN that are 10Gbe+ yet (but will soon enough). And even when I do, the times I'm saturating such a link would be so infrequent & unsustained, that it'd probably very unlikely it'd be noticeable, yeah?

What about this??

Are injectors the best way to go in my scenario, or am I best-off just getting a dedicated PoE Switch?

For my scenario, might I be best adding a PoE Switch to compliment the current main Switch in my Rack?

Yes
Theoretically.
The only technical issue is that that connections to/from/in the injector will need to match the CAT cable rating.being used to support 10Gbe+. Worst case you are out 40 USD and have to look for something different.

So no-one reckons a PoE Switch might be more beneficial, than adding Injectors to various runs, as/when needed?

It was cheaper this time around to buy a POE+ switch than buy 4 injectors. My new wireless required POE+ not POE so I had to upgrade. Be aware there are differences so you need to look at what you are installing. I believe the POE+ is backwards compliable but costs more than POE.

Thanks coxhaus, appreciated!

1)
So PoE+ Switches are backwards compatible to older PoE standards/devices?
[a] They basically just handle higher voltage/wattage?

2)
And for you, it was cheaper to get 1* of them than 4* PoE+ Injectors from Wifi Texas?

3)
Which PoE+ Switch did you get? I might get another TPLink to match with my current Managed Switch.
So long as they're not known to be terrible, & the price isn't exorbitant for about the same am't of ports or less.

4)
Is PoE+ the very latest/greatest PoE standard?
[a] Hence can I assume it'll power most (if not all) PoE compliant devices out there?
(So long as -ofc- the run isn't too long &or the medium too poor!)

All the best,
-j.

Last edited:
This looks fairly decent...
https://www.tp-link.com/au/products/details/cat-41_TL-SG1016PE.html
Available locally for surprisingly cheap, so may not even bother with Amazon/Similar this time:
https://www.umart.com.au/TP-Link-TL...Rackmount-Switch-with-8-Port-PoE+_38830G.html

I don't think it's a "Managed" Switch, though? (my other TP-Link unit is)
And not sure I want another 16-ports, when I'm already some way off filling the 1st one back at the main end-point!

Seems to support PoE+ too...
Though if I'm getting a PoE Switch with this many (or similar no) of ports, I'd prefer they all be PoE+, not half.
But perhaps that raises costs substantially...

Last edited:
I bought a Cisco SG300-10MPP switch. I was comparing Cisco injectors to the switch. They were $75 a piece. I have Cisco wireless WAP371 wireless units which require POE+ power to run correctly.

Thanks for taking a minute to get back to me Cox, tis appreciated!.. ;)
I don't suppose you could specifically address each point, 1-4 (& any sub-points where highlighted).
I've actually just come across what I think might be some better TP-link options, will explain later.

Thanks for taking a minute to get back to me Cox, tis appreciated!.. ;)
I don't suppose you could specifically address each point, 1-4 (& any sub-points where highlighted).
I've actually just come across what I think might be some better TP-link options, will explain later.

I am not sure what more you want. I don't keep with all hardware. I had to research what I bought. I bought TP-link once. I did not think they kept the software support up very well. The software was buggy.

I am not sure what more you want.

Just an addressal of these points/Qns, that's all:

1)
So PoE+ Switches are backwards compatible to older PoE standards/devices?
[a] They basically just handle higher voltage/wattage?

2)
And for you, it was cheaper to get 1* PoE+ Switch than 4* PoE+ Injectors from Wifi Texas?
You already answered this. Answer = "Yes, but not Wifi Texas, Cisco".

3)
Which PoE+ Switch did you get? I might get another TPLink to match with my current Managed Switch.
So long as they're not known to be terrible, & the price isn't exorbitant for about the same am't of ports or less.

You already answered this...
Though if you happen to know that TP-Link are particularly bad with regards to PoE+ Switches.
Or if the pricing is exorbitant for ~8<--16 ports, pease do advise.

4)
Is PoE+ the very latest/greatest PoE standard?
[a] Hence can I assume it'll power most (if not all) PoE compliant devices out there?
(So long as -ofc- the run isn't too long &or the medium too poor!)

Will be updating with some further findings tomorrow.
That cisco switch looks interesting actually, will look more closely at it alongside some TP-Link units.
And much cheaper than I assumed it would be, Cisco used to be super pricey!

Thanks again, BR/GN.

Last edited:
I feel like I already answered this.

1. Cisco POE+ works with POE.
3. I bought a TP-link router not switch.
4. As far as I know POE+ is the latest.

LOL, still not really getting (or not wanting to?) what I'm asking for (1) & (4), I will clarify further tomorrow.

I don't really know what exactly you mean with (3)...
That you can't offer a strong opinion, as you've not priced-out or had enough experience with TP-Link PoE+ Switches?
If so, fair enough...

BR/GN.

Last edited:
LOL, still not really getting (or not wanting to?) what I'm asking for (1) & (4), I will clarify further tomorrow.

I don't really know what exactly you mean with (3)...
That you can't offer a strong opinion, as you've not priced-out or had enough experience with TP-Link PoE+ Switches?
If so, fair enough...

BR/GN.

The router gave me enough experience with TP-link. I will never buy a TP-link switch so I think my opinion is a strong one... fair enough.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!