What's new

"Refurbished" Ultrastar A7K2000 HUA722020ALA331 2TB

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I would never trust a refurbished hard drive. My data is too precious to trust it to them. And beside, we've had a few bad experiences at work with refurbished drives that we received from manufacturers that turned out to come back dead, or die very early.

I would never trust a refurbished hard drive. My data is too precious to trust it to them. And beside, we've had a few bad experiences at work with refurbished drives that we received from manufacturers that turned out to come back dead, or die very early.

I have a 3 year old (+3 weeks, 3 year warranty!) 2TB Seagate with ~2000 unrecoverable bad blocks removed from computer it was crashing, coincidentally replaced with a new 2TB ultrastar. I am not impressed with Windows insisting the drive was 'healthy' and having to use 3rd party tools to read the SMART data (I use opensource GSmartControl). After a windows deep scan and reformat I still cannot see how many bad blocks are covered up in windows. If I found a way to reset the SMART data can I sell it as 'refurbished', would you want to buy it?

Last edited:
Thanks for your opinions. I may order one of the "refurbed" drives to play around with, along with a couple of new ones.

Regards, Paul.

I'm wondering if these are "pulls" from recently decommissioned enterprise platforms...

The biggest difference in "enterprise" grade drives is the warranty - many of them are the same drives that one would get in a retail package (or OEM/Bulk packs)...

I think enterprise are built to run 24 /7, different controller, probably noisier, too.. I'm guessing that if there are a lot of these in the marketplace, they are pulls.

I think enterprise are built to run 24 /7, different controller, probably noisier, too.. I'm guessing that if there are a lot of these in the marketplace, they are pulls.

And meant to run in a air-conditioned data center... many actually have the same controller, might have a bit more cache, and of course, the firmware might be different - the only difference in some cases is the deviceID presented to the operating system...

I'd be a bit reluctant to run a "refurb" drive as a primary storage device in any event.

It won't be used as a primary storage drive. I'll run "SpinRite" through it and see if it finds anything.

Even brand new out of box drive can be bad. You may be lucky or not. If will last long time or die quick, who can tell?
It is your call.

The difference is, out-of-box has a 2 or 3 year warranty. Longer if you buy a premium model.

If your refurbished drive is 91 days old and fails, you're SOL.

I've also seen too many drives labeled "refurbished" as opposed to "manufacturer refurbished". At least if I have to RMA a new drive, I know where the unit coming back to me has come from, and I have a chance of getting a new one.

Last edited:
There's a lot of gear in the ebay space right now due to consolidation and decom - many of these drives are pulls from old gear - and unless looking for a direct replacement, I would stay away from them...

Thanks for your opinions. I may order one of the "refurbed" drives SCSI to play around with, along with a couple of new ones.

Regards, Paul.
True refurb. product is checked by manufacturer or it's designated agent facility. They come with same warranty or little shorter warranty. Only refurb. I bought was digital camera, actually two of them. One Canon. one Olympus still work fine.

True refurb. product is checked by manufacturer or it's designated agent facility. They come with same warranty or little shorter warranty. Only refurb. I bought was digital camera, actually two of them. One Canon. one Olympus still work fine.

That's true "manufacturer refurbished" equipment. There's "refurbished" and "manufacturer refurbished". They are actually two separate, but valid definitions for two types of equipment.

I refurbish a lot of recycled Dell computer gear as a hobby and resell it. I take in a laptop, maybe replace a bad hard disk, replace the hinges or plastics if needed, maybe add a memory module to take it from 2GB to 4GB, reload it, and resell it. That's actually "refurbishing" a product; it's just not "manufacturer refurbished". In my case, I do a careful, thorough job, but there may be others who do the same thing and are more concerned with speed and turning around sales than they are with quality.

Your definition is of "manufacturer refurbished" although the warranty is entirely up to what the manufacturer decides to offer. Usually the manufacturer has tools and facilities someone like myself doesn't have, so maybe they can reflow solder on a circuit board, or in the case of a hard drive, replace platters or heads or a spindle motor, and if they can, they have a clean room or vacuum boxes they can do it in and air handlers.

If an item says "refurbished" and not "manufacturer refurbished", unless you know the seller personally, assume that all bets are off.

That's true "manufacturer refurbished" equipment. There's "refurbished" and "manufacturer refurbished". They are actually two separate, but valid definitions for two types of equipment.

I refurbish a lot of recycled Dell computer gear as a hobby and resell it. I take in a laptop, maybe replace a bad hard disk, replace the hinges or plastics if needed, maybe add a memory module to take it from 2GB to 4GB, reload it, and resell it. That's actually "refurbishing" a product; it's just not "manufacturer refurbished". In my case, I do a careful, thorough job, but there may be others who do the same thing and are more concerned with speed and turning around sales than they are with quality.

Your definition is of "manufacturer refurbished" although the warranty is entirely up to what the manufacturer decides to offer. Usually the manufacturer has tools and facilities someone like myself doesn't have, so maybe they can reflow solder on a circuit board, or in the case of a hard drive, replace platters or heads or a spindle motor, and if they can, they have a clean room or vacuum boxes they can do it in and air handlers.

If an item says "refurbished" and not "manufacturer refurbished", unless you know the seller personally, assume that all bets are off.[/QUOTE

For your case proper word is reconditioned, Not refurbished as far as I am concerned. I got a refurb. Dell work station
replacing our old one. The guy only uses Dell original parts from another Dell unit. T5500 with 3x500GB, 2xQuad Xeon, 16GB memory, Genuine W7 Pro 64 bit, 2003 Office, etc. for 150.00 CAD. I added 2GB brand new Seagate HD as a back up drive and SCSI controller and tape drive from old box. I just hope Seagate outlast older drives.
So Total cost comes to ~250.00 CAD.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!