What's new

[Release] AB-Solution 3 - The Ad Blocking Solution

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you saying you are still having trouble with pyload and transmission even without AB installed? its starting to look like you have some memory corruption issues due to the firmware upgrade. Although you mention that you are far from running short of memory, the behaviour of transmission is showing all those symptoms. AB3 doesn't have a hugely greater memory footprint than AB1.07 (mostly because of the entware/pixelserv install) and you mentioned that you had AB ,pyload, & transmission peacefully co-existing on an earlier merlin build ( you could try running AB without pixelserv enabled if you think ps is the problem). Dont know if anyone has any ideas how you can test that out before going through the rigmarole of a fresh install. How is your NVRAM usage? weird things start to happen when that maxes out too.
Top 20 nvram hogs by...... nvram show | awk '{print length(), $0 | "sort -n -r"}' | cut -d"=" -f 1 | head -n 20
Other thing you might do is check your entware path. AB doesn't like it if you have any other name for the entware folder than entware or entware-ng. ( mine was named entware-ng.arm and AB threw a hissy fit) You can quickly check which entware scripts are alive and dead by.....
/opt/etc/init.d/rc.unslung check

I tried to start all over again. I first format the JFFS partition and then the USB thumb drive. Then, I install Entware-NG and then AB-solution, followed by Pyload. After that, I tried to install Transmission but it fails to install. The error is:

Code:
admin@RT-AC68U-6258:/tmp/home/root# opkg install transmission-web transmission-d
aemon-openssl
Installing transmission-web (2.92-3) to root...
Downloading http://pkg.entware.net/binaries/armv7/transmission-web_2.92-3_armv7soft.ipk.
Installing transmission-daemon-openssl (2.92-3) to root...
Downloading http://pkg.entware.net/binaries/armv7/transmission-daemon-openssl_2.92-3_armv7soft.ipk.
Collected errors:
 * gz_open: fork: Cannot allocate memory.
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to unpack control files from /opt/tmp/opkg-TF5tmT/transmission-web_2.92-3_armv7soft.ipk.
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package transmission-web.
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to unpack control files from /opt/tmp/opkg-TF5tmT/transmission-daemon-openssl_2.92-3_armv7soft.ipk.
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package transmission-daemon-openssl.

I tried to check which entware scripts are alive and dead and the result is :

Code:
admin@RT-AC68U-6258:/tmp/home/root# /opt/etc/init.d/rc.unslung status
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/bin/pyload", line 36, in <module>
    import subprocess
  File "/opt/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 430, in <module>
    import pickle
MemoryError

I also tried to check NVRAM usage by nvram show | awk '{print length(), $0 | "sort -n -r"}' | cut -d"=" -f 1 | head -n 20

The result is:

Code:
size: 49326 bytes (16210 left)
1089 sshd_hostkey
624 sshd_dsskey
524 dhcp_staticlist
396 rc_support
338 sshd_ecdsakey
244 client_info_tmp
120 qos_rulelist
92 1:pa5ga2
92 1:pa5ga1
92 1:pa5ga0
88 asus_device_list
68 bwdpi_app_rulelist
64 modem_sms_message1
63 apps_ipkg_server
61 qos_orates
60 wl0_acs_excl_chans
56 modem_sms_message2
53 wl1_acs_pol
53 wl0_acs_pol
53 buildinfo

Pixelserv is not installed. I have never had any error at 380.59+Entware-NG+AB-solution1.07+Pyload+Transmission

Any help is appreciated.

I had even considered giving some value to the programmer but apparently he does not even care what I write here.

That's a sure way to ensure that, if it wasn't really the case, now it most certainly will be.

Hello @thelonelycoder! So ab-solution is not compatible with using a VPN without dns leak, right?

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk
AB-Solution works right out of the box. You yourself said so. That means I did a good job. Others on this thread and myself tried to help in the best way we know and can with the meagre info you have supplied in various posts with changing settings on your side.

AB-Solution is not the problem if DNS leaks are happening. It only blocks ads, using the built in binaries (and in case you use pixelserv-tls, it very conveniently installs third party packages for you).

I (and the test team) spent an enormous amount of time to make sure AB3 works as well as it obviously does.
To say I don't care when I try to help while on a much needed extended vacation is not nice.
Comments like yours make me question if the efforts I put into this project are worth my time.

@thelonelycoder I know AB Solutions is not the problem of DNS leak, but to have it work with my vpn binding I have the problem of DNS leak. What I intended was to see if it was possible to have both of them work simultaneously because as we all know today our privacy is very threatening and this worries me, so I'm insisting on the issue, because if we managed to put the Two running simultaneously without compromising security was great for me and a few other users who wanted the same level of protection.

I know that this work is ungrateful and I apologize for the way I responded to the little, and even made my donation for you as I intended.

If there is really nothing else that can be done to have both of them work simultaneously and without loss of security I will have to surrender to just one or try another solution.

It was not my intention to question your project, so I think the same should continue.

Enviado do meu iPad usando o Tapatalk

I don't think the issue of using Ab-solution with a VPN and not causing DNS leaks is insurmountable. In my own case , i am using VPN over PPTP tunnel. Dnsmasq is forwarding my DNS requests to the VPN providers own DNS...various leak test sites say i have no leaks and i get the benefit of AD blocking ( so far so good). What i would like to do is be able to still route some traffic through my WAN connection but use DNScrypt name servers rather that my local ISP or the VPNs DNS...And still block Ads.... Whether i can do that and still not have a DNS leak remains to be seen.

I tried to start all over again. I first format the JFFS partition and then the USB thumb drive. Then, I install Entware-NG and then AB-solution, followed by Pyload. After that, I tried to install Transmission but it fails to install. The error is:

Code:
admin@RT-AC68U-6258:/tmp/home/root# opkg install transmission-web transmission-d
aemon-openssl
Installing transmission-web (2.92-3) to root...
Downloading http://pkg.entware.net/binaries/armv7/transmission-web_2.92-3_armv7soft.ipk.
Installing transmission-daemon-openssl (2.92-3) to root...
Downloading http://pkg.entware.net/binaries/armv7/transmission-daemon-openssl_2.92-3_armv7soft.ipk.
Collected errors:
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to unpack control files from /opt/tmp/opkg-TF5tmT/transmission-web_2.92-3_armv7soft.ipk.
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package transmission-web.
 * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to unpack control files from /opt/tmp/opkg-TF5tmT/transmission-daemon-openssl_2.92-3_armv7soft.ipk.
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package transmission-daemon-openssl.

I tried to check which entware scripts are alive and dead and the result is :

Code:
admin@RT-AC68U-6258:/tmp/home/root# /opt/etc/init.d/rc.unslung status
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/bin/pyload", line 36, in <module>
    import subprocess
  File "/opt/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 430, in <module>
    import pickle
MemoryError

I also tried to check NVRAM usage by nvram show | awk '{print length(), $0 | "sort -n -r"}' | cut -d"=" -f 1 | head -n 20

The result is:

Code:
size: 49326 bytes (16210 left)
1089 sshd_hostkey
624 sshd_dsskey
524 dhcp_staticlist
396 rc_support
338 sshd_ecdsakey
244 client_info_tmp
120 qos_rulelist
92 1:pa5ga2
92 1:pa5ga1
92 1:pa5ga0
88 asus_device_list
68 bwdpi_app_rulelist
64 modem_sms_message1
63 apps_ipkg_server
61 qos_orates
60 wl0_acs_excl_chans
56 modem_sms_message2
53 wl1_acs_pol
53 wl0_acs_pol
53 buildinfo

Pixelserv is not installed. I have never had any error at 380.59+Entware-NG+AB-solution1.07+Pyload+Transmission

Any help is appreciated.
Did you test AB-solution and Pyload were both working before you started on the transmission install?
It troubles me that you are having problems with AB3 even without a pixelserv install. At least with a instance of pixelserv running i could imagine some possible interference going on, but without pixelserv, the AB3 interaction as far as dnsmasq is concerned is really no different to AB1.7. Are you able to install working versions of entware, pyload and transmission successfully prior to installing AB3? i would like to be sure its AB3 screwing things up and not some incompatibilities with latest merlin firmware or entware package changes first. And just for reference what are you using as your entware/adblocking device? flash drive/hard drive/EXT2/4?

I don't think the issue of using Ab-solution with a VPN and not causing DNS leaks is insurmountable. In my own case , i am using VPN over PPTP tunnel. Dnsmasq is forwarding my DNS requests to the VPN providers own DNS...various leak test sites say i have no leaks and i get the benefit of AD blocking ( so far so good). What i would like to do is be able to still route some traffic through my WAN connection but use DNScrypt name servers rather that my local ISP or the VPNs DNS...And still block Ads.... Whether i can do that and still not have a DNS leak remains to be seen.

Okay, but vpn through OpenVPN is a lot safer than PPTP!

Okay, but vpn through OpenVPN is a lot safer than PPTP!
Im not suggesting you use PPTP, I was using openVPN myself up until recently. Unfortunately for me i have no option now as my ISP is blocking openVPN even through TCP on port 443.... i suspect some kind of DPI at work. Its not really an issue for me as I'm using VPN to circumvent geoblocking rather than privacy. Anyway, i was just making the point that AB and VPN can be made to work together without causing DNS leaks. I expect some clever trickery with netfilter tables would do the job, but how that might slow up the throughput i've no idea.

Did you test AB-solution and Pyload were both working before you started on the transmission install?
It troubles me that you are having problems with AB3 even without a pixelserv install. At least with a instance of pixelserv running i could imagine some possible interference going on, but without pixelserv, the AB3 interaction as far as dnsmasq is concerned is really no different to AB1.7. Are you able to install working versions of entware, pyload and transmission successfully prior to installing AB3? i would like to be sure its AB3 screwing things up and not some incompatibilities with latest merlin firmware or entware package changes first. And just for reference what are you using as your entware/adblocking device? flash drive/hard drive/EXT2/4?
I would also be interested of the findings. AB without PS is basically a better 1.07 from the core functionalify point of view. With PS installed, AB ensures that settings in jffs are properly set. So it should help with a Transmission install, rather than hinder it.

Last edited:

Why not just route all your DNS traffic out over the DNSCrypt connection (assuming you don't need to access any devices on the VPN providers side)?

I can't say for sure Pyload was working before I started on the transmission install. However, I can see some places on webpage where it should display ads showing "can't connect to server". I assume AB-Solution is working. I can also access Pyload WebUI at that moment but no download mission is running. (Quick update: I add a mission and Pyload runs without issues)

I am using an 4GB USB thumb drive format as EXT3.

I will test to install Entware-NG, Pyload and Transmission before installing AB-Solution and report back soon. Thanks.

Quick update:
Could anyone tell me what error am I having now? What does it mean by "
Cannot allocate memory" and
"MemoryError"? Does it related to RAM or NVRAM?

Last edited:
Hello i have installed version 3 yesterday,i live in Norway,but i have problems go to this pages address
Can not accsess this sites?
Im using this page to watch tv channels subscriptions.
I have tryed put it on white list not working,if i disable its working,1-5 i have tryed 1 and 2 not working just gett error on https://go.canaldigital.no/home and on this page http://webtv.canaldigital.no/home
my wife called me now and netflix didnt work,same error somethings goes wrong error message?

if i disable its working.
turn it on and the pages dont work?
So i need some help

Last edited:
Hello i have installed version 3 yesterday,i live in Norway,but i have problems go to this pages address https://go.canaldigital.no/home and http://webtv.canaldigital.no/home

Can not accsess this sites?

Im using this page to watch tv channels subscriptions.
I have tryed put it on white list not working,if i disable its working,1-5 i have tryed 1 and 2 not working just gett error on https://go.canaldigital.no/home and on this page http://webtv.canaldigital.no/home
my wife called me now and netflix didnt work,same error somethings goes wrong error message?

if i disable its working.
turn it on and the pages dont work?
So i need some help
Neither site works from my location with or without the ad-blocking enabled so could be their site.

Just wanted to say that I installed this for my brother in law and his house hold yesterday on his Linksys EA6900 Port (Xvortex), and the install went very smoothly as expected. I only did the basic blocking using the "Medium" list and it could not have been any more simple. The stats feedback is a very nice touch.

I held off on doing PixelServ as I have noticed that even though we are doing basic host file blocking, I really don't see much (if any) https ad's. As well, I am not always there to actively support them, so I am anticipating the call "Hey, we are getting some certificate warning, what should we do.....". Better to avoid that :)

All in all, great release, and your work is much appreciated (by me and my family).

Just wanted to say that I installed this for my brother in law and his house hold yesterday on his Linksys EA6900 Port (Xvortex), and the install went very smoothly as expected. I only did the basic blocking using the "Medium" list and it could not have been any more simple. The stats feedback is a very nice touch.

I held off on doing PixelServ as I have noticed that even though we are doing basic host file blocking, I really don't see much (if any) https ad's. As well, I am not always there to actively support them, so I am anticipating the call "Hey, we are getting some certificate warning, what should we do.....". Better to avoid that :)

All in all, great release, and your work is much appreciated (by me and my family).
Good to hear. And I can understand the reluctance to use PS. Never see an error at home, but here in the US, connected through VPN with the router, we occasionally see a cert error with google adservices. Reloading the page usually clears that.
I'm very pleased with how version 3 is practically error free. Apart from a few typo's and minor inconsistencies there's no need for a hotfix or minor update in the near future. I plan, and have already done some work on new features for the PS addon, mainly the support of 'entware-ng.arm' named folders for Entware and changing the PS IP. But first, we'll enjoy the rest of the vacation. Still T-Shirt weather in SoCal.

Hey, sorry if these questions were asked, but it's little hard to find answers here(I hope snbforums give you sub folder of AsusWRT-Merlin soon). I would really want to try this AB-Solution, whcih seems amazing. But I want to know a few things:
1.If I run into any problem while installing this, can I just simply reset the router to make it back to normal? (Since I'm not that skillful)
2.What happen when ad websites are blocked? Will I just can't load those websites?
3.AD-Blocking will block most of advertising popup, right? Even blocking small advertising pictures in a useful website, but not the useful website itself?
4.Does it affect my router stability, performance, security? Does it require maintenance?
5.Is there any function in AsusWRT Merlin that has conflicts with this?
6.What are pros(other than ad-blocking) and cons of this, in summary? How have the reviews been?

If these questions were asked, please point me to threads that are advantageous to each question.

Thanks in advance to all answers.

Hey, sorry if these questions were asked, but it's little hard to find answers here(I hope snbforums give you sub folder of AsusWRT-Merlin soon). I would really want to try this AB-Solution, whcih seems amazing. But I want to know a few things:
1.If I run into any problem while installing this, can I just simply reset the router to make it back to normal? (Since I'm not that skillful)
2.What happen when ad websites are blocked? Will I just can't load those websites?
3.AD-Blocking will block most of advertising popup, right? Even blocking small advertising pictures in a useful website, but not the useful website itself?
4.Does it affect my router stability, performance, security? Does it require maintenance?
5.Is there any function in AsusWRT Merlin that has conflicts with this?
6.What are pros(other than ad-blocking) and cons of this, in summary? How have the reviews been?

If these questions were asked, please point me to threads that are advantageous to each question.

Thanks in ad1vance to all answers.
1. It''ll work. If not, log into the router WebUI and set 'format jffs at next reboot', then reboot. That is, if you have no other custom scripts running.
2. The whitelist is your friend, read the helpful manual at the bottom of my 1.st post in this thread. Once installed, there is more helpful info.
3. Yes and no. It will block most of it, but not all. Most users of AB-Solution are very happy how it works.
4. None of these, AB-Solution is stable and can be trusted. The hosts files are auto-updated weekly.
5. Not with a standard install. If you use no custom scripts, you are on the safe side.
6. You need to read through this thread to get your answers. AB-Solution is by far the easiest and simplest to install and maintain.
None of the other ad-blockers on this forum come close to it. They may do the same thing, but for novices like you there is no alternative.
That is why I developed AB-Solution in the first place.

In general, if you still have doubts, read through this thread. Older threads like AB 2.0 or older may contain outdated info.

1. It''ll work. If not, log into the router WebUI and set 'format jffs at next reboot', then reboot. That is, if you have no other custom scripts running.
2. The whitelist is your friend, read the helpful manual at the bottom of my 1.st post in this thread. Once installed, there is more helpful info.
3. Yes and no. It will block most of it, but not all. Most users of AB-Solution are very happy how it works.
4. None of these, AB-Solution is stable and can be trusted. The hosts files are auto-updated weekly.
5. Not with a standard install. If you use no custom scripts, you are on the safe side.
6. You need to read through this thread to get your answers. AB-Solution is by far the easiest and simplest to install and maintain.
None of the other ad-blockers on this forum come close to it. They may do the same thing, but for novices like you there is no alternative.
That is why I developed AB-Solution in the first place.

In general, if you still have doubts, read through this thread. Older threads like AB 2.0 or older may contain outdated info.
I have no more doubts as AB-Solutions is the main ad-blocker I see in other people's SNBForum signature . Btw, thanks for detailed answers. I will try this within a week, after reading manual thoroughly . :)

Status
Not open for further replies.