What's new

[Release] AB-Solution 3 - The Ad Blocking Solution

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Code:
/var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases
The Rune 'Thorn' means discipline and knowledge.
There is none for restraining and discreet.

Code:
/var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases
I had a look in there.... the devices with a static IP have an asterisk but the devices with an address assigned by DHCP seem to have what looks like a MAC address behind their name ... whats that all about?

Slightly off topic, but I have been wondering about this for a long time.
While NGC 1365, the Great Barred Spiral Galaxy, is your avatar, you confuse me with 9527 to no end. There is no object 9527 in the New General Catalogue.
I got a good chuckle, thanks. :) My id and avatar aren't related. My id only has some significance for me. As for the avatar, I often ponder our place in the universe (or maybe, as some have told me, I'm often in 'space' :D)

the devices with a static IP have an asterisk

Static IPs are often problematic in a network if you want to be able to do name resolution, as the router has no real way of knowing the device's hostname. If you need fully working name resolution, you'll want to use a DHCP lease.

Static IPs are often problematic in a network if you want to be able to do name resolution, as the router has no real way of knowing the device's hostname. If you need fully working name resolution, you'll want to use a DHCP lease.
Does it make a difference if the IP is one thats reserved within the DHCP range as opposed to an IP that has been assigned outside it?.....

Does it make a difference if the IP is one thats reserved within the DHCP range as opposed to an IP that has been assigned outside it?.....

At a technical level it makes no real difference. It's however considered a bad idea to define a static IP within the DHCP scope (as it could collide with a client's DHCP lease), or to set up a static lease outside of the DHCP scope (because static or dynamic, a lease should always be within the defined scope).

Can I add 'comment' lines in the whitelist without affecting its functionality when the file is processed? I want to keep track of why I am adding entries to the whitelist (so its easy to reverse after I've forgotten), like this:

# JustGottaGoThere.com
click.linksynergy.com
sharesale.com
cpadna1.com
coupons.com
anrdoezrs.net
# End JustGottaGoThere.com

Thank you.

Can I add 'comment' lines in the whitelist without affecting its functionality when the file is processed? I want to keep track of why I am adding entries to the whitelist (so its easy to reverse after I've forgotten), like this:

# JustGottaGoThere.com
click.linksynergy.com
sharesale.com
cpadna1.com
coupons.com
anrdoezrs.net
# End JustGottaGoThere.com

Thank you.
I believe comments, apart from the ones at the top of the file, should work.
Enter it and process the file, if the comments are still there after, I did a good job...

I believe comments, apart from the ones at the top of the file, should work.
Enter it and process the file, if the comments are still there after, I did a good job...

They are definitely still there. You done good, my friend! :D

Just wanted to make certain that the only thing being commented out was was I intended to comment out, and not any lines following them. Seems to be working as expected/desired. Thank you!

I checked today that with the options I have enabled in my OpenVPN client I have DNS leak. So now I'm using the OpenVPN application on my network devices, but ab-solution no longer blocks ads with vpn enabled.

Can someone help me solve this problem?

Thank you.

Look at post #282 in this thread.

Hello @thelonelycoder! So ab-solution is not compatible with using a VPN without dns leak, right?

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

You started this question in post 281 and an answer was supplied in 282, you then asked another question related to the initial problem in 286, it was replied to in post 287 and 290 with at successful result confirmed by yourself in post 292. Then you came back with another problem in post 302, which can be sorted in the PPTP/L2TP Client in the router VPN settings. Post 334 you state that you are using VPN software on each machine, that will defiantly make AB Solution not work per machine. Post 336 is just starting it all over again.

I hope the professionals put in a helping hand here to aid me, the novice :p

Regards

You started this question in post 281 and an answer was supplied in 282, you then asked another question related to the initial problem in 286, it was replied to in post 287 and 290 with at successful result confirmed by yourself in post 292. Then you came back with another problem in post 302, which can be sorted in the PPTP/L2TP Client in the router VPN settings. Post 334 you state that you are using VPN software on each machine, that will defiantly make AB Solution not work per machine. Post 336 is just starting it all over again.

I hope the professionals put in a helping hand here to aid me, the novice :p

Regards

Yes I know I have been a bit annoying with the various posts I have made, what happens is that I even use the VPN and ab solution at the same time, but to use the two together my connection then has dns leak.

What I am looking for is help in trying to understand if it is possible to solve this problem of dns leak without abdicating the vpn and ab solution which is an optimum Script.

I had even considered giving some value to the programmer but apparently he does not even care what I write here.

Yes I know I have been a bit annoying with the various posts I have made, what happens is that I even use the VPN and ab solution at the same time, but to use the two together my connection then has dns leak.

What I am looking for is help in trying to understand if it is possible to solve this problem of dns leak without abdicating the vpn and ab solution which is an optimum Script.

I had even considered giving some value to the programmer but apparently he does not even care what I write here.

thelonelycoder does take care, he does take interest, that's why AB Solutions is here, just hang on a bit, someone will intervene , google is also your friend with VPN and ASUS routers as well :)

Regards

That not at all fair to diss the programmer like that.... he has written AB-solution to work with dnsmasq. You will get lots of help here to try and make it work while sending DNS requests all over the place ( the Selective routing thread is an excellent example of forumers pitching in). But don't expect him to instantly have all the answers for what can be quite a complex problem.

thelonelycoder does take care, he does take interest, that's why AB Solutions is here, just hang on a bit, someone will intervene , google is also your friend with VPN and ASUS routers as well :)

Regards

I already used Google and read some articles but could not find the solution. I've even exchanged private messages with @Patje which has the same problem as me but is also not giving due use to ab-solution due to its openvpn client connection.

I do not want in any way to discredit the @thelonelycoderby your work that is great, just wanted some feedback to know if the problem will have a solution.

Long live ab-solution!

That not at all fair to diss the programmer like that.... he has written AB-solution to work with dnsmasq. You will get lots of help here to try and make it work while sending DNS requests all over the place ( the Selective routing thread is an excellent example of forumers pitching in). But don't expect him to instantly have all the answers for what can be quite a complex problem.

Yes I have gotten a lot of help here, but the tips they gave me here are not working without having dns leak.

What is the "Selective routing" thread that you talk about?

I understand that it is a complex problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.