What's new

Replace AC-3200 with?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Re-posting here...

Hmmm.... had a family member with an RT-AC3200... here's what we did to get things sorted...

1) Break apart the 5G radios with Standard Setup (e.g. no more Tri-Band Smart Connect stuff)

5G-1 became "WirelessMedia" SSID
5G-2 became "Wireless"

2) Went common SSID with the 2.4GHz radio with 5G-2

2G - became "Wireless" as the SSID there

3) He wanted a Guest Network, so we enabled Guest on the 2.4GHz radio only... as "WirelessGuest"

For the rest - set 2.4G as B/G/N (disabling Turbo), and Mixed/Auto for the 5G radios..

Client side - streamers/STB's all got "WirelessMedia", the other clients got "Wireless", and of course, guests get "WirelessGuest"

The past three official firmware releases have had this bug with the networkmap crashing. Only the latest BETA (available on this forum) has addressed this problem.

All that leaves to sort out is the wireless issues. I don't use smartconnect sfx2000, I have 2.4Ghz band for anything (PS Vita, Phones, guests etc), 5ghz-1 is dedicated to the LG TV, and 5Ghz-2 (set to AC only) is only used with mine and my wifes Z3's.

The LG TV still pauses every so often (Yes I could hard wire it but I'm not well at the moment and cba ripping apart half of the front room) - but what I have noted is that if we stop our Z3's connecting to 5Ghz-2 - this directly affects the LG TV which is on 5Ghz-1 (i.e. it stops freezing!).

Aren't the two 5Ghz radios supposed to be completely different? I thought that was the whole point of having these 3 radio routers - but I'm proving otherwise here by disabling the Z3's showing an effect on the other 5Ghz radio!

The main thing thats getting to me is how poor the AC performance is - I can normally (come on you know you all do it! lol) sit on the pan and browse facebook no problem with my Z3 on my RT-N66U (5ghz but N only, not AC obviously) - but since getting this AC-3200 it keeps dropping internet connectivity - signal is showing as three bars (so good reception) - just internet stops working (and no its nothing to do with my internet connection as I don't experience this with ANYTHING else).

Really regret upgrading from the RT-N66U - So far this AC3200 has just been a headache and complete waste of money the way it currently operates.

Use an Ethernet cable.

If you want a great router, build/buy a pfsense one and use Ubiquiti Unifi if you want full control of the wifi.

Had a play with a UniFi access point the other day - was setting it up for a friend of mine. Whats so good about them?

Other than seamless handover between multiple AP's I couldn't find anything that really stood out above and beyond what most normal wireless routers can offer? ta.

Had a play with a UniFi access point the other day - was setting it up for a friend of mine. Whats so good about them?

Other than seamless handover between multiple AP's I couldn't find anything that really stood out above and beyond what most normal wireless routers can offer? ta.

Unifi is great where you have multiple APs and are centrally managed. They just work and offer full diagnostics.

Back to the worlds dodgiest firmware - sick of this product.

It's been a while since this thread started - anything else uber out there?

Really don't want to buy the AC-5300 - can see the firmware is still a bit dodgy for a lot of users (Typical Asus stylee).

Nothing else from other manufacturers thats on par feature set wise?

only the client should drop when using smart connect not all clients.

If your AC3200 is not working like your friend's one assuming you use same firmware and settings than do an RMA.

Or if the friend is real generous, swap the router for a week or so to really prove OP's one is lemon.

Darn it! - Couldn't find anything as well specced (feature wise) than the Asus products.
No way I'm paying all that for the Ac-5300!

Ended up ditching the AC-3200 for the AC-88U. Didn't really need that extra radio but the link aggregation of the 88U has come in well handy!!

Loads more ports free (8 ports instead of just 4) and surprisingly as per SNB's review - it 'just works'.