What's new

Replace my Hamachi VPN config using Router RTN66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

darkpollo

Occasional Visitor
Hi
I have setup an VPN using Hamachi and Privoxi to connect into one computer from any location and use its IP when browsing.

The problem is that with that configuration I cannot connect to that vpn using my mobile or my tablets, because I cannot install hamachi on them.

I would like to know if it is possible to create the same kind of vpn using the Asus router.

I just need the router to connect to the vpn so the mobile connected to the router wireless network will use that IP and not the home ISP IP.

Is that possible?

Thanks

Ofcourse its possible, thing is you wont need hamachi anymore. Just configure your router as VPN server/client depending on your needs. You may need to install VPN server on the remote PC or use the remote router as VPN server if you want to use it's IP.

That is the idea, to be able to remove hamachi completely but also be able to activate or desactivate the VPN on the router when required.

From now the vpn should be created on the server computer and not on the Asus, because on that house the router is not that good.

So what I need to learn is how to create the vpn client on the asus to connect to the vpn server and that will transmit the config to all the devices connected to the same network, right?

Will be possible to activate/deactivate the vpn from the devices or need to be done using the router?

Thanks!

do a port forward on the remote router so that you can connect to remote PC than do run the VPN client on the ASUS router. Easiest VPN is PPTP.

As for the router i heard you can specify which network to use but this isnt mikrotik where you can redirect traffic however you want. It may be possible to do a similar thing on asus router but i only use mine for wifi and services and leave the VPN to my very fast mikrotik routerboard.

It may take some experimentation and maybe even configuration via ssh.

Your remote PC will also need to run dhcp server too or you can configure static on asus router.

You can also have the asus router run the VPN server, have remote PC connect but have asus router give the right dhcp info to route through the remote PC.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!