What's new

Replacment for RT-AC66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

uglyslate

Occasional Visitor
I've recently discovered issues with my AC66U which now puts me on a path for a replacement.

I looked at EdgeRouter and in the past pfsense, but honestly that is more configuration then I would like to deal with. However I am looking at potentially adding Ubiquiti AP(s).

Looking for a good GUI version of a router and seems most like the EdgeRouter and Mikrotik require quite a bit of CLI. While I can do it, the issue is time currently.

I've really enjoyed Merlin's firmware and would like to continue using it. I use OpenVPN, DHCP w/reservations, Port Forwarding and not much more currently.

Was looking at the AC-3200, but that would be way overkill if I'm only going to use it as a router with separate AP(s).

Any suggestions?

I recommend AC1900 class routers. And if you like Merlin, stick with ASUS. For VPN performance, you might wanna get a beefier one with faster CPU, tho

If you really enjoy Merlin, then an AC68U is a no-brainer (or an R7000 with xVortex port of Merlin). If easy QoS is desirable, you could also run AdvancedTomato instead in order to gain fq_codel as a queuing discipline (fq_codel is "knobless" QoS that only requires your upstream and downstream bandwidth speeds, then handles the rest -- way more convenient than specifying and having to tweak all kinds of classes, especially when you're looking for something quick and dirty for a simple network).

If performance falls short on the wired side of things, you can always re-purpose it to be an access point only, then drop in a proper wired router (UBNT, 'Tik, pfSense, etc.). Or if wireless falls short, you could disable wifi, then drop in a multi-AP setup like Open-Mesh, UniFi, Eero, etc. Or just swap it out altogether in a 2-stage upgrade down the line. Any way you slice it, though, you still win out with an AC68U (or equivalent) in the long-run. :)

Last edited:
For the price, I think I may need to just go with the EdgeRouter X Advanced. Does it have a pretty decent GUI or is it mostly CLI?

Also how is OpenVPN support?

FYI - there is no EdgeRouter X Advanced - it's just the EdgeRouter X (I know the description reads "Advanced Gigabit Ethernet Router"... but that's just UBNT marketing mumbo jumbo).

And yes, it does have a GUI, but it's much more cut-and-dry and geared towards those with networking backgrounds than the typical consumer device, DD-WRT and Tomato included. For example, when entering networks and subnets, you must use CIDR notation; if that only makes you think of the drink made from apples, then you're probably best off sticking with Asus. ;) Otherwise there's a good chance you'll find yourself Googling for documentation (which may not exist) and/or asking for how-to's on their forums for procedures you could do easily on simpler devices and firmwares.

OpenVPN support is just fine -- but here again, at least of v. 1.8.5 firmware, you need to jump into the command line to get it configured up properly. You're also lacking built-in wireless on the EdgeMax routers (for better or worse).

Your call, but to me the extra $100 for the Asus is worth it for your use-case.

Depends on your speed requirements. for openVPN asus will be faster because of the ARM being faster than MIPS at it but for other VPNs the edgerouter will be faster. NAT speeds depend on whether you require features that hardware acceleration cant give you otherwise both choices have equivalent performance with hardware acceleration.

To properly configure ubiquiti edgerouter you will be editing files, using terminal and so on but for basic networking use both will do well. If you want to use what the GUI provides with a limited featureset than go for ASUS.

Networking and command line don't bother me. Still up in the air about it, but you guys gave me some more information to go off of.
I'll have to decide if I want the easy GUI route or go with the more complex (but more features) route.

I've recently discovered issues with my AC66U which now puts me on a path for a replacement.

<snip>

I've really enjoyed Merlin's firmware and would like to continue using it. I use OpenVPN, DHCP w/reservations, Port Forwarding and not much more currently.

What issues?

From what you mention - seems like it's fine - perhaps consider an RT-AC68U and flash RMerlin on it to maintain some level of consistency...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!