What's new

[resolved][xt8] How to revert firmware of aimesh node that isn't connecting to router after hard reset?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

afool622

Regular Contributor
Help! I hard resetted both my router and my node. However, my node is no longer connecting to my router. How can I revert the node firmware?

router: xt8
firmware: trying many things, I have reverted the router back to RT-AX95Q_386.07_2-gnuton1_cferom_puresqubi
ai node: RT-AX95Q_388.1_0-gnuton0_beta3_puresqubi

have a look at this thread...

Main thing is to connect the node to the router 'wired' (lan on router to wan on node) for the initial node discovery and config.

If this does not work. flash the node with latest stock. then do a WPS reset. then try adding node (wired)...

if still not working. flash main router to stock. then add node. then upgrade router to merlin

have a look at this thread...

Main thing is to connect the node to the router 'wired' (lan on router to wan on node) for the initial node discovery and config.

If this does not work. flash the node with latest stock. then do a WPS reset. then try adding node (wired)...

if still not working. flash main router to stock. then add node. then upgrade router to merlin
Thank you!! Do you have directions on flashing a node without gui access?

Thank you!! Do you have directions on flashing a node without gui access?
Yep. Also easy but takes a bit of time/process - and you do need to get to the GUI...

in summary, you need to reset node (WPS button method) and then minimum configure it as normal router - don't need to plug into internet and I suggest doing this wired and if you need to create a wifi network call it something different to your usual SSID/name!!!

Once you get to the GUI flash the latest stock firmware (as per normal from the admin page) then do a WPS button reset to restore it to factory default.

Now it is ready to add as a node to the main router as described in the thread I linked earlier.

If this method does not work, you can download a ASUS app for Mac or windows - called firmware restoration tool and use this to flash a new firmware. Much easier to use the first method above though.

Last edited:
in summary, you need to reset node (WPS button method) and then minimum configure it as normal router - don't need to plug into internet and I suggest doing this wired and if you need to create a wifi network call it something different to your usual SSID/name!!!

Right. Key point is you don't try to do this within your existing aimesh network. Hard-reset the unit and then configure it as if it were a new standalone machine. You might need to actually turn off your other ASUS units while you're doing that, because your main router is likely to try to auto-absorb the freshly-reset unit into your mesh, and there could be problems with that.

Once you've got control of the unit, load the desired firmware onto it, then hard-reset it again and configure it into your normal mesh setup.

Thanks for everyones input. Got both back up and running (took a bit of time). Keeping them on stock for now. @tgl was right on turning off all Asus units. That was my initial problem. My other problem was that the aimesh node doesn't seem to connect after changing mode to aimesh node. So what I did was hard reset and left it to be detected as a node. So many lessons learned.

So what I did was hard reset and left it to be detected as a node.

You just had to read Asus AiMesh setup procedure.

1673935211122.png

Thanks for everyones input. Got both back up and running (took a bit of time). Keeping them on stock for now. @tgl was right on turning off all Asus units. That was my initial problem. My other problem was that the aimesh node doesn't seem to connect after changing mode to aimesh node. So what I did was hard reset and left it to be detected as a node. So many lessons learned.
Good news. Happy it’s working. Better to keep nodes on stock IMO so you have nice setup now with main router on Merlin.

leave everything as-is for now and see how it goes

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!