What's new

RIP Use.....

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

shoman94

Regular Contributor
When should I use RIP? If I have a network that uses one router with 2 switches and another access point? If so what version should I be using?

It doesn't matter. This is used only in networks with multiple routers. I don't know why they include it in consumer routers.
https://kb.netgear.com/21661/What-i...P-and-how-does-it-work-with-my-managed-switch
Well I just got a new GSS116E 16 port switch that uses Multicasting IGMP so it directs the info to the port that requested it. This can help with IPTV and such.. I use Network Tuners a Channels server for DVR and TVE function which uses a NAS for storage. I want to make sure the traffic doesn't get confused especially with TVE. I've been having some issues when thee network buffers randomly when it shouldn't.

From the little information I looked at quickly I thought maybe RIP does the same thing.

I think all multicast on consumer switches is all layer2 so RIP will not help you since it is layer 3. RIP is a routing protocol which passes dynamic routing info to other routers at layer 3. You mainly use it when there are multiple paths with multiple routers to a destination. The system can evaluate which is the fastest way to get there. The RIP protocol needs to match on both ends to work. So decide if you are going to use RIP or RIP2 as they are different. One is classless routing and one is classful routing.

Last edited:
Well I just got a new GSS116E 16 port switch that uses Multicasting IGMP so it directs the info to the port that requested it. This can help with IPTV and such.. I use Network Tuners a Channels server for DVR and TVE function which uses a NAS for storage. I want to make sure the traffic doesn't get confused especially with TVE. I've been having some issues when thee network buffers randomly when it shouldn't.

From the little information I looked at quickly I thought maybe RIP does the same thing.

Now that I am thinking about IPTV and multicasting from ISPs I don't see a use for multicasting. Cisco made a device called IPTV many years ago that was a multicast device for class rooms. I don't see how an ISP could do that because you would need to all watch and record the same program for multicast to work for a lot of devices at home.

Everybody being able to watch different movies at home pretty much breaks multicast.

One is classless routing and one is classful routing.

The newest iteration is RIP3, classY routing. It wears a top hat.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!