What's new

ROG Rapture GT-AX6000 OpenVPN performance, seems too slow

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

andydsm

Occasional Visitor
Hey everyone :)

Last week I was able to pick up a Rapture AX6000 for a very good price, to replace my trusty AC66U B1. I am very happy with the router, wired and wireless is great, however I can't figure out why my VPN speeds seem not up to par.

From what I've been able to gather on the forum, I should be getting about 250 - 300 Mbps while connected to the router's openvpn feature, but I get 40 - 45 Mbps while none of the router's CPU cores go past 10-ish percent load.
For reference, my old AC66U B1 had one core pegged to nearly 100% and could do about 25 Mbps

Here's a breakdown of the setup and testing I've done:
- Router is connected to 1000/600 Mbit down/up connection, direct access speeds are exactly where they should be, when tested on wifi 6 or my LAN hardwired PC, running latest stock firmware.
- VPN was configured using the standard (not advanced) OpenVPN settings via the router's interface, only added access credentials, then exported the config file.
- VPN test device and device I want to use the VPN routing with, is my phone (S23 Ultra). Local cell service is LTE+/ 5G (does around 1.1 Gbps on speedtest), I've installed OpenVPN, imported the config file and the speeds I get seem hard capped to 45 Mbps

If anybody has an idea what I've done wrong, your input would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance !

Welcome to the forums @andydsm.

There are many factors that contribute to what speeds you'll actually achieve.

The key is that the speeds are 'up to'.

You may test with something more powerful than a handheld device that prioritizes battery life, rather than performance.

Hey everyone :)

Last week I was able to pick up a Rapture AX6000 for a very good price, to replace my trusty AC66U B1. I am very happy with the router, wired and wireless is great, however I can't figure out why my VPN speeds seem not up to par.

From what I've been able to gather on the forum, I should be getting about 250 - 300 Mbps while connected to the router's openvpn feature, but I get 40 - 45 Mbps while none of the router's CPU cores go past 10-ish percent load.
For reference, my old AC66U B1 had one core pegged to nearly 100% and could do about 25 Mbps

Here's a breakdown of the setup and testing I've done:
- Router is connected to 1000/600 Mbit down/up connection, direct access speeds are exactly where they should be, when tested on wifi 6 or my LAN hardwired PC, running latest stock firmware.
- VPN was configured using the standard (not advanced) OpenVPN settings via the router's interface, only added access credentials, then exported the config file.
- VPN test device and device I want to use the VPN routing with, is my phone (S23 Ultra). Local cell service is LTE+/ 5G (does around 1.1 Gbps on speedtest), I've installed OpenVPN, imported the config file and the speeds I get seem hard capped to 45 Mbps

If anybody has an idea what I've done wrong, your input would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance !
Who's your VPN provider?

No provider. Router's OpenVPN.

Welcome to the forums @andydsm.

There are many factors that contribute to what speeds you'll actually achieve.

The key is that the speeds are 'up to'.

You may test with something more powerful than a handheld device that prioritizes battery life, rather than performance.

I don't have another device other than my phone, that I could test with unfortunately. But shouldn't a 2023 year flagship have enough power to run more than 45 Mbps using openvpn?

No guarantee that a 2023 flagship handheld is capable, no.

And, other variables can compound the limitations you're seeing.

No guarantee that a 2023 flagship handheld is capable, no.

And, other variables can compound the limitations you're seeing.

Well thanks for the info, so regarding the openvpn configuration, do I have to change something, or is everything good?

Apple iPhone 14 in my hand shows 320Mbps on OpenVPN to local NordVPN server. On-device NordVPN client. The Avalanche CPU cores are super fast, but I would expect Samsung Galaxy S23 to be something similar or at least close. If not that fast per core at least >200Mbps unless for some weird reason the VPN processing stuck to one of the efficiency cores. The router's CPU can do about 250Mbps on OpenVPN.

With my S23 5G
1698698361013.png

Apple iPhone 14 in my hand shows 320Mbps on OpenVPN to local NordVPN server. On-device NordVPN client. The Avalanche CPU cores are super fast, but I would expect Samsung Galaxy S23 to be something similar or at least close. If not that fast per core at least >200Mbps unless for some weird reason the VPN processing stuck to one of the efficiency cores. The router's CPU can do about 250Mbps on OpenVPN.

In that case do you have any idea if I've configured or done something wrong? I honestly have no idea what to do to fix the speed issue.

Please forgive my ignorance, but I am not sure I understand what you've shared in this screenshot.

I honestly have no idea what to do to fix the speed issue.

Someone else with GT-AX6000 may help you. I can't speed test the server (ISP Cable 500/30) and my test router is a different model (with similar CPU).

I use this app on my Pixel 8 Pro. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.blinkt.openvpn and get speeds over 100 Mbps to my AC86U when away from home and on wifi. Both your phone and router should support AES so I would suggest using the AES-128-GCM cipher. I could probably delete the CHACHA20-POLY1305 from my setup as I only had that included for my old AC68U to connect with.

View attachment 53887

My guy, I don't know what to say, but you did it 😀
Just scored 210 - 220 Mbps using your advanced openvpn template and the android app you are using! I am truly impressed how well these settings worked, mine for some reason were very different in their default state (UDP instead of TCP, had an extra bi-directional security layer, etc.)
I was using the openvpn connect app, after reapplying a new profile using your suggested settings, it immediately jumped to 100 - 120 ish Mbps, then tried the app you suggested openvpn for android and speeds nearly doubled again to 200+ Mbps

Massive thanks doczenith1, you fixed my issue :)
Cheers!

At least you know your phone can do 200+ now. ;)

At least you know your phone can do 200+ now. ;)
Might be able to do more than that, speeds seem to keep going up till the end of the timed speedtest runs. Will have to load some large files on the phone and test shuffling them about :)

Real happy with how it worked out, you guys are awesome :)
Have a good one!

I am truly impressed how well these settings worked, mine for some reason were very different in their default state (UDP instead of TCP, had an extra bi-directional security layer, etc.)

You might experiment with UDP and see if you get better speeds. It's my understanding that theoretically UDP will provide faster VPN speeds than TCP. I use OpenVPN as a backup to WireGuard which uses UDP. If I encounter a situation where UDP is blocked I can try my OpenVPN server over TCP.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!