What's new

ROG Rapture GT-AX6000 cuts off wired connections, please help :(

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

andydsm

Occasional Visitor
Hey everyone,

I recently swapped my router from an AC66U B1 to a ROG Rapture GT-AX6000 and have been getting a very weird issue with it and have no idea what's the root of it and how to fix it.
I'll provide as much details and info as I can, to try and paint a clear as possible picture. Before proceeding to the description, I'd like to clarify that this issue was non existent with the previous AC66U B1 and had never ever occurred, also absolutely nothing got changed infrastructurally, apart from swapping the router.

The Problem:
At completely random times, the router will just shut its ethernet ports and cut complete network access to all 2 hardwired PC's (windows 10 shows the globe icon, no active connections, cable unplugged), wireless access and router itself remain operable.
The only way to restore connection to the 2 pcs is to either reboot them or the router, no amount of waiting or going through windows 10 fix connection prompts, restores the connection otherwise.
The issue always happens when both PC's are on and are currently in use.

The setup (nothing you see below had been altered in any way, when the AC66U B1 was in use):
- FTTH Gpon device, connected to the router's 2.5G WAN port, providing a 1G down/ 600mbps connection, cable is cat 5E (about 2m length)
- Router's 2.5G dedicated LAN port is connected to a 2.5G capable NIC, on a X670E Crosshair Hero motherboard, cable is cat 6 about 1.5m in length
- One of the router's 1G ports are connected to an old HP Elite 8300 (intel 3rd gen) PC, with a 1G capable NIC, cable is cat 5E about 10m in length
- Connected old SSD, via its USB 3.0 port, used as makeshift NAS for small stuff.
- Wirelessly connected devices are just 2 phones and a printer, nothing more.
- Both PCs are running Win 10 Pro, with latest updates, if that is of useful info.

Here's a copy paste from the router's log, from the time frame when the disconnecting happens:

NOTE: The last two lines have redacted numbers and represent events after the 2 PCs were rebooted.

Nov 16 17:53:29 kernel: eth1 (Int switch port: 0) (Logical Port: 0) (phyId: 1) Link DOWN.
Nov 16 17:53:32 kernel: eth1 (Int switch port: 0) (Logical Port: 0) (phyId: 1) Link Up at 10 mbps full duplex
Nov 16 17:53:36 kernel: eth1 (Int switch port: 0) (Logical Port: 0) (phyId: 1) Link DOWN.
Nov 16 17:53:38 kernel: eth1 (Int switch port: 0) (Logical Port: 0) (phyId: 1) Link Up at 10 mbps full duplex
Nov 16 17:53:41 kernel: eth1 (Int switch port: 0) (Logical Port: 0) (phyId: 1) Link DOWN.
Nov 16 17:53:42 kernel: eth5 (Int switch port: 6) (Logical Port: 6) (phyId: 13) Link DOWN.
Nov 16 17:53:42 kernel: ^[[0;34m[NTC xport] xport_reset: rc = 0; intf = 3 port = 2 spd = 2.5G dup = 1
Nov 16 17:53:42 kernel: ^[[0m
Nov 16 17:53:44 kernel: eth1 (Int switch port: 0) (Logical Port: 0) (phyId: 1) Link Up at 1000 mbps full duplex
Nov 16 17:53:45 kernel: ^[[0;34m[NTC xport] xport_init: rc = 0; intf = 3 port = 2 spd = 100M dup = 1
Nov 16 17:53:45 kernel: ^[[0m
Nov 16 17:53:45 kernel: eth5 (Int switch port: 6) (Logical Port: 6) (phyId: 13) Link Up at 100 mbps full duplex
Nov 16 17:53:51 kernel: eth1 (Int switch port: 0) (Logical Port: 0) (phyId: 1) Link DOWN.
Nov 16 17:53:54 kernel: eth1 (Int switch port: 0) (Logical Port: 0) (phyId: 1) Link Up at 1000 mbps full duplex
Nov 16 17:54:01 kernel: eth1 (Int switch port: 0) (Logical Port: 0) (phyId: 1) Link DOWN.
Nov 16 17:54:03 kernel: eth1 (Int switch port: 0) (Logical Port: 0) (phyId: 1) Link Up at 1000 mbps full duplex
Nov 16 17:54:04 kernel: eth5 (Int switch port: 6) (Logical Port: 6) (phyId: 13) Link DOWN.
Nov 16 17:54:04 kernel: ^[[0;34m[NTC xport] xport_reset: rc = 0; intf = 3 port = 2 spd = 100M dup = 1
Nov 16 17:54:04 kernel: ^[[0m
Nov 16 17:54:10 kernel: ^[[0;34m[NTC xport] xport_init: rc = 0; intf = 3 port = 2 spd = 100M dup = 1
Nov 16 17:54:10 kernel: ^[[0m
Nov 16 17:54:10 kernel: eth5 (Int switch port: 6) (Logical Port: 6) (phyId: 13) Link Up at 100 mbps full duplex
Nov 16 17:54:21 kernel: eth5 (Int switch port: 6) (Logical Port: 6) (phyId: 13) Link DOWN.
Nov 16 17:54:21 kernel: ^[[0;34m[NTC xport] xport_reset: rc = 0; intf = 3 port = 2 spd = 100M dup = 1
Nov 16 17:54:21 kernel: ^[[0m
Nov 16 17:54:26 kernel: ^[[0;34m[NTC xport] xport_init: rc = 0; intf = 3 port = 2 spd = 2.5G dup = 1
Nov 16 17:54:26 kernel: ^[[0m
Nov 16 17:54:26 kernel: eth5 (Int switch port: 6) (Logical Port: 6) (phyId: 13) Link Up at 2500 mbps full duplex
Nov 16 17:57:43 miniupnpd[XXXX]: Unauthorized to remove PCP mapping internal port XXXX, protocol TCP
Nov 16 17:57:43 miniupnpd[XXXX]: Unauthorized to remove PCP mapping internal port XXXX, protocol UDP

Hopefully this is enough info and really hope someone can help me fix this, as it's causing me big headaches :(
Thanks!

What router and firmware are you using, specifically?

How did you set up your router? Did you import an old backup config file? Or, did you minimally and manually configure the router to secure it and connect to your ISP?

What options, features, and scripts are you using past the defaults? Are you using (or have you ever used, in the past) the USB drive for amtm scripts?

When was the last time you did a full reset of the router, and minimally and manually configured it? Then, tested it for stability by not plugging in any USB drive, and not toggling settings on/off randomly (doing so with some settings or a combination of settings will not turn them 'off' again, and a full reset is usually the fastest way back to a stable router again).

Try simply using a 1GbE port as the WAN port instead of the 2.5GbE port you're using now.

What router and firmware are you using, specifically?

How did you set up your router? Did you import an old backup config file? Or, did you minimally and manually configure the router to secure it and connect to your ISP?

What options, features, and scripts are you using past the defaults? Are you using (or have you ever used, in the past) the USB drive for amtm scripts?

When was the last time you did a full reset of the router, and minimally and manually configured it? Then, tested it for stability by not plugging in any USB drive, and not toggling settings on/off randomly (doing so with some settings or a combination of settings will not turn them 'off' again, and a full reset is usually the fastest way back to a stable router again).

Try simply using a 1GbE port as the WAN port instead of the 2.5GbE port you're using now.

Router is the ROG Rapture GT-AX6000 (as stated above)
FW is the latest version (auto update is turned on): 3.0.0.6.102_21514-g9affda2_136-g5d23c
I reconfigured the router from scratch, didn't import old settings. If you need to know certain settings, please let me know which ones.
- No scripts are used at all in any instance, features of router that I use are Openvpn and usb connected storage.
- Router was bought new and sealed, couple of weeks ago. Have not tested it without the usb storage connected, but how can that affect the ethernet ports I wonder?
- Do you think the 2.5G speed may be the culprit?

Anything specific that you can interpret from the log?

State any settings/options you've changed past defaults.

Yes, test without the USB drive attached (it may be what is making the router unstable).

Test with a 1GbE WAN port too. The issue may be incompatibilities between the GPON's port and the router's 2.5GbE WAN port.

I would also test with a new, quality, Cat5e cable (different make than what you're using now).

State any settings/options you've changed past defaults.

Yes, test without the USB drive attached (it may be what is making the router unstable).

Test with a 1GbE WAN port too. The issue may be incompatibilities between the GPON's port and the router's 2.5GbE WAN port.

I would also test with a new, quality, Cat5e cable (different make than what you're using now).

Regarding connection related things, I've not changed anything, except setting up WPA2/3 security for wireless devices. Installing download manager on the usb connected ssd is the only thing I can think of, out of the ordinary.

Any information on why would usb connected storage destabilize this router? I've used the exact same connected storage solution for many years with the old AC66U B1 with zero problems.

This router has only 1x WAN port, the 2.5/1G one, is there a way to connect my GPON on one of the 4x 1G lan ports? Also to clarify further, the router loses connection only with the PCs, not the GPON. When I try wifi at the moment of lost ethernet, Internet coming from the GPON is still up and running.

I could change the short cat5e easily, but unfortunately the long one won't be that easy to do, so I'll pick up a nice cat6s to give it a go.

Regarding the 2.5G speeds, I just read there are some problems with the Intel based 2.5G NICs in current motherboards, do you have any suggestions on what settings to change in windows for the NIC or should I just force 1G?

Anything you could "dissect" from the log? I have no idea why the ports are just shutting down out of the blue 😤

Go to WAN, Dual WAN, and configure the WAN Port you want to use.

Download manager is suspect here. It can easily crash the router.

You only need to test/change the GPON to the router (for now).

Don't change anything on your PCs (for now). But, have you already?

Logs don't say much other than what you and I already get out of them. Not helpful in finding a solution here, I would guess.

Go to WAN, Dual WAN, and configure the WAN Port you want to use.

Download manager is suspect here. It can easily crash the router.

You only need to test/change the GPON to the router (for now).

Don't change anything on your PCs (for now). But, have you already?

Logs don't say much other than what you and I already get out of them. Not helpful in finding a solution here, I would guess.

Interesting turn of events .. tried swapping the default WAN, to one of the LAN ports, both wired PCs lost internet access, but retained LAN connection between each other and to the router. Router reported Internet as Connected, though.
Returned WAN to the default 2.5/1G port everything immediately fired right back up.

I really need the usb connected storage :( Actually one of the reasons I swapped the AC66U B1 to the Rapture, was the sixfold USB 3.0 connected storage transfer speed increase. I don't want to buy and configure a standalone NAS at this point, as I really don't need the capacity and the additional device.
Forgot to mention, I have SMB and FTP file sharing enabled. All that, plus download manager was installed and enabled on the old router and caused no issues whatsoever.
Should I try to go ahead and uninstall download manager for testing and leave the connected storage as a last resort, if nothing else had helped?

Haven't touched anything in windows NIC configs on both PCs yet.

How high on your "to try" list would a cable swap be? I could try sourcing a nice cable tomorrow?

Last edited:
You need to reboot the router (via the GUI) when you make changes. You may also need to reboot the client devices too.

I would test the USB/Download Manager combination by physically unplugging the USB first. Then, when that has proven stable (or not), uninstall Download Manager. Are you able to limit the connections Download Manager uses? That may help stability too.

To be clear here; you changed the WAN, Dual WAN settings to LAN Port 'x'. Then you plugged the WAN cable from your GPON to Port 'x', correct?

The cable swap (or two or three) is the first thing I would be testing (if I had a quality/different brand/model cable to test with). Very cheap and easy to test, and can save you many hours of frustration on seemingly unrelated items. Not only do the cables/connections (i.e. internal wiring) make a difference, but the actual connector ends may make a difference too (because of tolerances).

A NAS should be high on your list of next things to buy/upgrade your network. The in-stability is most likely related to your use of Download Manager (at this point).

You need to reboot the router (via the GUI) when you make changes. You may also need to reboot the client devices too.

I would test the USB/Download Manager combination by physically unplugging the USB first. Then, when that has proven stable (or not), uninstall Download Manager. Are you able to limit the connections Download Manager uses? That may help stability too.

To be clear here; you changed the WAN, Dual WAN settings to LAN Port 'x'. Then you plugged the WAN cable from your GPON to Port 'x', correct?

The cable swap (or two or three) is the first thing I would be testing (if I had a quality/different brand/model cable to test with). Very cheap and easy to test, and can save you many hours of frustration on seemingly unrelated items. Not only do the cables/connections (i.e. internal wiring) make a difference, but the actual connector ends may make a difference too (because of tolerances).

A NAS should be high on your list of next things to buy/upgrade your network. The in-stability is most likely related to your use of Download Manager (at this point).

So when I made the WAN change, the router rebooted itself (there was a prompt, stating this change will reboot it) I didn't reboot the 2 pcs though.
The correct port was indeed used, the router confirmed being connected to the internet in its firmware.

I made a mistake, the USB application is called download master, but I presume that's what you also thought I was referring to. Would you please clarify how do i limit the connections it uses? I just need its torrenting function to work.

I will start with the cables, as you mentioned the quickest way to troubleshoot.

If you have any idea what settings on the NICs in windows i should double check? Something might be off in there to force the router to turn off its ports?

Sorry, don't use torrenting programs. Look at the options possible to be changed/adjusted.

Or, search on the forums here (with Better Search at, the top of every page) for specific instructions on how to do it.

Easier to just 'safely unmount' the USB drive, physically remove it, and then reboot the router and see how stable your network is first.

I had those issues - turned out to be a bad cable from my laptop to the router. When I went back to confirm - found link was half duplex at times using the bad cable.

Just finished swapping all cables (the 2pcs and to the gpon) will keep on regular usage and see where it goes and if the disconnect occurs again

Sorry, don't use torrenting programs. Look at the options possible to be changed/adjusted.

Or, search on the forums here (with Better Search at, the top of every page) for specific instructions on how to do it.

Easier to just 'safely unmount' the USB drive, physically remove it, and then reboot the router and see how stable your network is first.

After extensive trials, unfortunately the issue was not resolved, however I can now 100% reproduce the circumstances that cause the ports to shut down.
Here are the steps:
- Play a video or some media from the USB connected drive to the router
- Start a torrent d/l from the same computer to the USB connected drive at the same time
- after about 30 sec. to a minute the ports to both connected pcs shut down
- I've been able to immediately restore connectivity to both pcs, by unplugging and plugging back the ethernet cable on the PC where the above 2 steps are being executed.

The weirdest thing of all is that ONLY one of the 2 connected pcs cause the port shutdown (the HP 8300 Elite, intel 3rd gen).
Even weirder, tried to test pure file transfer (via SNB to the network connected drive) while a video was playing back from the USB connected drive on the offending pc, there was no port shutdown, like when torrenting.
- transferred 10 gig video files, back and forth without issue
- transferred 8 gigs worth of text logs (to simulate a large volume of small file transfer) back and forth, no issue.

I've reran the exact same test on the other, more modern X670E PC and it did not shutdown the ports, no matter how many torrents I throw at the USB connected network drive at once.

That HP Intel 3rd Gen based PC is running which version of Windows? What LAN card/Port is it using? (Intel, Realtek, etc.)? Can you add another one (do you have a spare lying around; I wouldn't be buying one today...)?

Do you have a spare router that you can use as a Media Bridge for that computer? That may work too.

That HP Intel 3rd Gen based PC is running which version of Windows? What LAN card/Port is it using? (Intel, Realtek, etc.)? Can you add another one (do you have a spare lying around; I wouldn't be buying one today...)?

Do you have a spare router that you can use as a Media Bridge for that computer? That may work too.

Hey, thanks for getting back to me :)

As mentioned in my OP, both PCs are running win 10 (everything is updated to latest non experimental versions, if that is of importance), the 3rd gen Intel PC's NIC is an Intel 82579LM.
Sadly, my habit is to always sell whatever I'm replacing, which always leaves me without any spares of anything lying around, so got no spare PCIe NICs or routers :(

Luckily the use case, where the router cuts its ports is very niche and easily circumventable, so even if we're unable to solve that, it'll all be good :) I wouldn't feel comfortable wasting your or anyone else's time, unless you find this case interesting to close, for "science" :D

Not much more for me to offer...

But, for science, if you want to see what interactions may be happening on your PCs...

Test 1:
  • Download the NIC driver for the HP PC.
  • Fully uninstall the NIC driver, then shut down the system.
  • Physically remove the NIC.
  • Boot the system, log in, and then shut it down once more.
  • Install the NIC.
  • Install the drivers (if they self-installed, you didn't fully uninstall them).
  • Test for the issue you described above.
Test 2:
  • Download both NIC drives for the NICs you have in each PC (I hope the second one is a discrete unit too).
  • Swap the NICs.
  • Install the proper (new) driver.
Do the issues follow the NIC or the PC? That may give you a hint of what to look further into.

Not much more for me to offer...

But, for science, if you want to see what interactions may be happening on your PCs...

Test 1:
  • Download the NIC driver for the HP PC.
  • Fully uninstall the NIC driver, then shut down the system.
  • Physically remove the NIC.
  • Boot the system, log in, and then shut it down once more.
  • Install the NIC.
  • Install the drivers (if they self-installed, you didn't fully uninstall them).
Test 2:
  • Download both NIC drives for the NICs you have in each PC (I hope the second one is a discrete unit too).
  • Swap the NICs.
  • Install the proper (new) driver.
Do the issues follow the NIC or the PC? That may give you a hint of what to look further into.

My apologies, in case my prior explanations and descriptions have not been totally clear, but none of the PCs use discrete NICs, both are connected via their onboard NICs.

No problem. No further testing is required then (unless you want to try 'clean' installing the NIC driver on the HP). 🙂

No problem. No further testing is required then (unless you want to try 'clean' installing the NIC driver on the HP). 🙂

Thanks for all your time, help and insight :)
I think I'll leave it as it is, unless another use case, that I actually frequently rely on, starts shutting down the router's ports and forces me to come back to troubleshooting this thing.

Cheers!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!