What's new

Solved Roku Getting Dropped from Guest Network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Nexplas70

New Around Here
Recently upgraded from 386.7_2 to 388.4 on my AX-86U

Because of the big jump, I did a Hard Factory Reset and manual reconfiguration of everything.

I run the Guest Network for my IoT stuff.

My Roku is on this guest Network.

Since upgrading to 388, the Roku is getting dropped from the network every time it turns off.

When I turn Roku back on, it says "No Network Connection".

But as soon as I go to "Check Connection" it finds the network, still remembers the credentials, connects and works fine.

To be clear: It never drops the connection while it use. It's just won't connect on boot without manually doing it.

I realize this sounds like a Roku problem and not a Asus/Merlin problem, but it only started happening the day I upgraded.

It's like DHCP or something just forgets about it.

Searching anything Roku+dropped connection on Google only gets you "Did you try turning it off and back on again?"

The only change to network settings I made during the upgrade was moving Guest network from Slot 1 to Slot 2.

Is there some setting that might be doing this?

Thanks!

Welcome to the forums @Nexplas70.

Try fully resetting the Roku's network settings (or 'forget' the network, reboot the Roku and the router), then re-associate again.

Your Roku is not dropping the connection. Your are turning it off and therefore disconnecting it. Your Roku is failing to detect it's network connection. Have you backed out the Guest network change?

Don't power off the Roku. It has a sleep mode to save energy and maintain the WIFI connection. If using the 5GHZ DO NOT USE DFS CHANNELS!

Welcome to the forums @Nexplas70.

Try fully resetting the Roku's network settings (or 'forget' the network, reboot the Roku and the router), then re-associate again.
This seems to have worked - thank you. I didn't know the Roku has a full Network Reset option. I should have though of that.
Your Roku is not dropping the connection. Your are turning it off and therefore disconnecting it. Your Roku is failing to detect it's network connection. Have you backed out the Guest network change?

That was going to be my next step. I switched to Guest Slot 2 because it was supposed to cause fewer issues...for some reason I have forgotten now, but found on this forum 😅

Don't power off the Roku. It has a sleep mode to save energy and maintain the WIFI connection. If using the 5GHZ DO NOT USE DFS CHANNELS!

Yep, the 5ghz channel was the first thing I checked

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!