What's new

Router Advice Needed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gilliwan

New Around Here
Afternoon everyone, thanks in advance for any advice given.

So I have a Apple Time Capsule now that I have had for two years and in general it works great, but I think it may be time to change the router. The home and devices have grown through the past few years and now it's become a gaming home (thanks to the boys). We have been having issues connecting to XBox One parties online and issues when other people are watching Netflix/Plex etc. So, I am wondering what is the best router to switch to...All the research I have done has yielded either the Netgear NightHawk R7000, or the ASUS AC68U. I prefer the ASUS brand...but will that router be able to handle the number of devices we have connected? We do a lot of streaming and gaming, at the same time, especially in the evening. Will I get any performance increase over the Time Capsule and if so is the AC68U the right model or should I be looking at higher end models? I posted here as it references specifically the ASUS brand that we want to stick with.

Current Devices:
4 x Laptops
1 x Gaming Desktop (will be hardlined into router)
3 x Xbox Ones
1 x iPad
4 - 6 x iPhones
3 x TVs
1 x Apple TV
1 x Stereo Receiver for Home Theatre
4 x NEST devices
1 x Garage Door Opener (will be hardlined into router)
1 x Wireless Printer

Services Used:
Netflix
PLEX
XBox Live
PC Gaming
Minecraft Server for the boys and their friends

Last edited:
Some additional info you may want to provide;

What is your ISP speed (both up and down)? Where is the ATC located now? Is it central to the areas that need to be serviced via WiFi? Will the new router be able to be better located (if location is an issue now)?

Can you provide a floor plan or at least describe your WiFi environment? SqFt, number of floors and walls and construction material used will be helpful.

In the Asus lineup (which I also recommend along with RMerlin firmware or the forks thereof) the RT-AC68U is a good start, but it is a platform that is many years old now (over 3). If you have access to a Best Buy, the RT-AC1900P is a better option with 75% faster processors, newer RF design and power amplifiers and the benefit of supporting RMerlin's firmware too (use the RT-AC68U version).

The very latest Asus models like the RT-AC3100 or the RT-AC5300 may be better suited for your ever expanding needs though. The 'AC3100 offers a 4x4:4 antennae/streams which improves range and throughput for many devices even if they are only 1x1:1 capable. The 'AC5300 offers three radios and with your growing wireless devices (and Minecraft parties), it offers the possibility of connecting the various devices to the band and radio most appropriate for them and for the fastest overall network experience.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/sh...-go-with-the-rt-ac1900p-v3.34748/#post-281391

On a network such as yours, I would be looking for something more than the RT-AC68U 'original'. Particularly if you have higher ISP speeds (200Mbps u/d).

The link I've provided above is an example of a single RT-AC3100 with RMerlin firmware replacing a current ISP provided router and extender, with far superior results.

Looking forward to anything further you can provide to allow us to help you more. :)

Welcome to the forums!

Some additional info you may want to provide;

What is your ISP speed (both up and down)? Where is the ATC located now? Is it central to the areas that need to be serviced via WiFi? Will the new router be able to be better located (if location is an issue now)?

Can you provide a floor plan or at least describe your WiFi environment? SqFt, number of floors and walls and construction material used will be helpful.

In the Asus lineup (which I also recommend along with RMerlin firmware or the forks thereof) the RT-AC68U is a good start, but it is a platform that is many years old now (over 3). If you have access to a Best Buy, the RT-AC1900P is a better option with 75% faster processors, newer RF design and power amplifiers and the benefit of supporting RMerlin's firmware too (use the RT-AC68U version).

The very latest Asus models like the RT-AC3100 or the RT-AC5300 may be better suited for your ever expanding needs though. The 'AC3100 offers a 4x4:4 antennae/streams which improves range and throughput for many devices even if they are only 1x1:1 capable. The 'AC5300 offers three radios and with your growing wireless devices (and Minecraft parties), it offers the possibility of connecting the various devices to the band and radio most appropriate for them and for the fastest overall network experience.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/sh...-go-with-the-rt-ac1900p-v3.34748/#post-281391

On a network such as yours, I would be looking for something more than the RT-AC68U 'original'. Particularly if you have higher ISP speeds (200Mbps u/d).

The link I've provided above is an example of a single RT-AC3100 with RMerlin firmware replacing a current ISP provided router and extender, with far superior results.

Looking forward to anything further you can provide to allow us to help you more. :)

Welcome to the forums!

L&LD thanks for the response.
-Speeds are 200 MB U/D, from TWC.
-Central to all connected clients, TimeCapsule had no issue with range so figure an ASUS wouldn't either.
-The Modem is in the office that is basically in the middle of a 2,250 sq ft house, single floor, was going to place the router next to it.

The AC68P is available at the local BestBuy for $2ooish, I can order the recommended 1900P if it's better.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-wireless-ac-dual-band-wi-fi-router-black/5091000.p?skuId=5091000

The AC3100 is at the local Frys for $280ish (they will price match a competitor).
http://www.frys.com/product/8684850?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

The AC88U I can order from newegg, this came up a lot versus the AC3100...although I confess I didn't understand the differences when reading.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320242

And...not my first pick but the Netgear X6 (R7900) I can get for $250 from Costco locally. I only bring that up because they take anything back and frankly if I have a problem a year down the road that might be nice, but I leave that to any advice I receive.

Last edited:
TP Link has an wireless AD router available....Talon AD7200

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

L&LD thanks for the response.
-Speeds are 200 MB U/D, from TWC.
-Central to all connected clients.
-The Modem is in the office that is basically in the middle of a 2,250 sq ft house, single floor, was going to place the router next to it.

Thanks for the additional information. :)

If you use only the basic router features, then the RT-AC68U may be all you need for the next couple of years or more.

However, if any of the following may happen, such as; if your ISP speeds increase, if your network usage increases (either by adding more clients or more intensive use by existing clients), if you want to use the optional features that Asus offers in their routers (AiProtection, etc.) or if you want to have an OpenVPN connection to your home (and it's digital assets), then choosing the RT-AC3100, RT-AC88U or the RT-AC5300 may be the better long term (and cheaper) solution.

The following links may help you setup your new router and network effectively and without experiencing seemingly random glitches or other bugs.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/no...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-nvram-and-factory-default-reset.22822/

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac66u-slow-wan-to-lan.12973/page-3#post-269410

Thanks for the additional information. :)

If you use only the basic router features, then the RT-AC68U may be all you need for the next couple of years or more.

However, if any of the following may happen, such as; if your ISP speeds increase, if your network usage increases (either by adding more clients or more intensive use by existing clients), if you want to use the optional features that Asus offers in their routers (AiProtection, etc.) or if you want to have an OpenVPN connection to your home (and it's digital assets), then choosing the RT-AC3100, RT-AC88U or the RT-AC5300 may be the better long term (and cheaper) solution.

The following links may help you setup your new router and network effectively and without experiencing seemingly random glitches or other bugs.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/no...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-nvram-and-factory-default-reset.22822/

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac66u-slow-wan-to-lan.12973/page-3#post-269410

L&LD,
Is the AC3200 worth looking at?

Realistically, I don't think anything else will be added. The AC1900P is available and as you stated it's already better, so I can go that route. I see that there are a few features on the AC3100 that aren't on the AC1900P. So that leaves me two final questions...

Would something like the Netgear X6 be better than the AC3100/AC1900P since it's a triple band? Most devices connect to the 5 GHz spectrum right now...

Assuming I utilize the QoS, would I gain anything realistically by going to the AC3100?

With the RT-AC1900P available to you, the RT-AC3100 might be a reach to be called 'worth while', particularly if the 'AC1900P worked for you.

NG, Linksys, TP-Link and all the other lower end routers are not worth considering for me (at all). The length they are supported for (mere months), the decade old code (security issues!) used in their firmware and the lack of features and of course, RMerlin's touches.

The reasons to choose the 'AC3100 over the 'AC19ooP was addressed in the link I gave. It 'should' give better range and throughput, but if a cheaper 'AC1900P gives you the range and throughput you need? Save your money.

To be perfectly clear though; you would need to buy and setup both to test and contrast with in your environment. One or the other is not inherently better, even at a given price point.

With the RT-AC1900P available to you, the RT-AC3100 might be a reach to be called 'worth while', particularly if the 'AC1900P worked for you.

NG, Linksys, TP-Link and all the other lower end routers are not worth considering for me (at all). The length they are supported for (mere months), the decade old code (security issues!) used in their firmware and the lack of features and of course, RMerlin's touches.

The reasons to choose the 'AC3100 over the 'AC19ooP was addressed in the link I gave. It 'should' give better range and throughput, but if a cheaper 'AC1900P gives you the range and throughput you need? Save your money.

To be perfectly clear though; you would need to buy and setup both to test and contrast with in your environment. One or the other is not inherently better, even at a given price point.

Okay, I reread the thread and I feel that the range isn't an issue here. I really relly really appreciate the help L&LD. I wouldn't have even known of the upgraded AC1900P. Cheers and have a wonderful evening!!!

Don't forget that you can keep the TimeCapsule in commission - put it in to what Apple calls "Bridge Mode", and it can act as another AP on your network, and the TimeMachine support (or NAS services) are still active and available...

L&LD,
Sorry to ask one final question. I went and got the ASUS AC1900P last night, completely impressed I must say. I have the opportunity to grab the AC3100 for only $50 more. In your opinion, would it be worth the $50 upgrade? The signal coverage is great on the AC1900P...so it seems to boil down to the processor, ram etc. I have setup a lot of the features like time scheduling, QoS etc

Last edited:
L&LD,
Sorry to ask one final question. I went and got the ASUS AC1900P last night, completely impressed I must say. I have the opportunity to grab the AC3100 for only $50 more. In your opinion, would it be worth the $50 upgrade? The signal coverage is great on the AC1900P...so it seems to boil down to the processor, ram etc.

Don't be sorry, ask away!

I'm glad the 'AC1900P is working so well for you. Note that the processors are identical between the 'AC1900P, 'AC88U, 'AC3100 and the 'AC5300, afaik.

In my opinion, for $50 more, I would get the 'AC3100 for the extra antennae/stream, double the ram and NVRAM and also even more advanced RF design and hardware. Not because I 'need' to have the best (don't forget, I'm still running an 'original' RT-AC68U currently), but because an additional $50 over the 3 to 5 years that I'll have the new router for will be insignificant over that expected time period.

For yourself, if everything is working at or above the level you expect then $50 saved may be the better option right now? You can always put it into your 'next WiFi router' budget, after all. ;)

I would be at least curious to see how the RT-AC3100 compares to the RT-AC1900P in identical settings (and return the lesser router for a full refund).

L&LD,
Sorry to ask one final question. I went and got the ASUS AC1900P last night, completely impressed I must say. I have the opportunity to grab the AC3100 for only $50 more. In your opinion, would it be worth the $50 upgrade? The signal coverage is great on the AC1900P...so it seems to boil down to the processor, ram etc. I have setup a lot of the features like time scheduling, QoS etc

May I ask what the price was on both routers that ended up with the 1900P $50 less? I've been watching both of the those routers and the 1900P which sells for $200 has been on sale for $165 a number of times over the last few months. I wasn't looking at the 3100 very hard until I saw the thread on this site showing it on sale for $191. I was too late and it's back at $280 now :( At $191 I was sold and was going to sell my 68U.

Last edited:
May I ask what the price was on both routers that ended up with the 1900P $50 less? I've been watching both of the those routers and the 1900P which sells for $200 has been on sale for $165 a number of times over the last few months. I wasn't looking at the 3100 very hard until I saw the thread on this site showing it on sale for $191. I was too late and it's back at $280 now :( At $191 I was sold and was going to sell my 68U.

The AC1900P was $185, the AC3100 was $235. Not great sales, but my router died and I had no choice with a house full of kids and working from home to get a new one ASAP. L&LD, RMerlin, and sfx2000 give great advice and having looked all over the forum seem to have an immense knowledge base.

L&LD,
So I tried both routers, 1 day using each with the family. The AC3100 has a much larger range. What I was interested in though were the speeds...The AC1900P really seemed faster with no lag. The AC3100 had a lot of lag spikes the kids were complaining about. That was with the Xbox Ones connected to 5GHz band. I didn't think that would be the case, but I watched them play and they were rubber banding all over the screen. A bad router maybe? I figured the AC3100 would have equal or better speed. I was searching the forums and RMerlin pointed to the throughput tests in a few posts and I looked at those and sure enough, the AC1900P/AC68U has higher throughput...or am I missing something.

Last edited:
The AC1900P was $185, the AC3100 was $235. Not great sales, but my router died and I had no choice with a house full of kids and working from home to get a new one ASAP. L&LD, RMerlin, and sfx2000 give great advice and having looked all over the forum seem to have an immense knowledge base.

L&LD,
So I tried both routers, 1 day using each with the family. The AC3100 has a much larger range. What I was interested in though were the speeds...The AC1900P really seemed faster with no lag. The AC3100 had a lot of lag spikes the kids were complaining about. That was with the Xbox Ones connected to 5GHz band. I didn't think that would be the case, but I watched them play and they were rubber banding all over the screen. A bad router maybe? I figured the AC3100 would have equal or better speed. I was searching the forums and RMerlin pointed to the throughput tests in a few posts and I looked at those and sure enough, the AC1900P/AC68U has higher throughput...or am I missing something.

Depends on how the RT-AC3100 was configured. Was smart connect used? Was a custom channel tested for and selected? Were the other options and features enabled identical on each router? Was the same firmware version (appropriate for each router) used? Was a proper reset to factory defaults performed not only to the router, but for the ssid's, passwords and each (tested) client?

As you can see, there are many variables that need to be checked or reset to properly compare between routers. I don't see where RMerlin offered any links to the tests you indicate (could you link to those please?).

When a network is fully and properly setup (and 'sanitized'), the router with the better range is usually the router with the higher, real world, throughput and lowest latency, ime (at a given distance/location).

Of course, you can only go by the results you found for your network (and I suggest you make sure you trust your results enough to act on them), my results have been different. Thanks for sharing your experience with us. ;)

Depends on how the RT-AC3100 was configured. Was smart connect used? Was a custom channel tested for and selected? Were the other options and features enabled identical on each router? Was the same firmware version (appropriate for each router) used? Was a proper reset to factory defaults performed not only to the router, but for the ssid's, passwords and each (tested) client?

As you can see, there are many variables that need to be checked or reset to properly compare between routers. I don't see where RMerlin offered any links to the tests you indicate (could you link to those please?).

When a network is fully and properly setup (and 'sanitized'), the router with the better range is usually the router with the higher, real world, throughput and lowest latency, ime (at a given distance/location).

Of course, you can only go by the results you found for your network (and I suggest you make sure you trust your results enough to act on them), my results have been different. Thanks for sharing your experience with us. ;)

L&LD,
There is a reason I returned the AC1900P and stuck with the AC3100. From what you pointed out and what I read all over the forums I am sure the experience here is vastly outpacing my minimalist knowledge. I am just tweaking the router at this point to find that sweet spot and get it working, I am sure it's superior across the board. As for RMerlin, I always try to research before asking questions and he had some posts here where he referenced the throughput tests and I went and reviewed what he already referenced as to not be repeating a topic. I know I didn't go through and reset everything on the SSID and I did have the WRFast gaming feature on, so time to just sit back research and learn more of this product.

L&LD,
There is a reason I returned the AC1900P and stuck with the AC3100. From what you pointed out and what I read all over the forums I am sure the experience here is vastly outpacing my minimalist knowledge. I am just tweaking the router at this point to find that sweet spot and get it working, I am sure it's superior across the board. As for RMerlin, I always try to research before asking questions and he had some posts here where he referenced the throughput tests and I went and reviewed what he already referenced as to not be repeating a topic. I know I didn't go through and reset everything on the SSID and I did have the WRFast gaming feature on, so time to just sit back research and learn more of this product.

Fair enough. ;)

Review the links in post 5 and get your network to a good known state. Then, add additional features as necessary (testing for at least a day between features) to see if the overall network performance improves or degrades and whether those changes are a fair tradeoff for the additional functionality you've received.