What's new

router advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ccm001

New Around Here
Hi, first time poster, great advice and articles on this site!

Looking for advice on a budget. I'm looking for a $100ish router - main qualities being great wi-fi range and gigabit (wired) ports. Wi-fi range/speed isn't great at far ends of house, gigabit ports for downloading on a wired desktop.

I currently have an old reliable linksys wrt54g2 router. It has served me well as a wi-fi router, never needs a reboot. But now my kids are getting older and doing a lot of streaming on tablets (3 tablets in house), and we now have a smart tv and an android tv box on another. Also have one laptop, 3 smart phones in the house. The main complaint in my house is lack of a signal at the far end of the house (bedrooms), and speed seems to drop.

So I'm thinking an ac router would be good, even though I may not be able to use ac/5ghz. Any newer router should be an improvement in speed and bandwidth right? And from what I gather, I'd probably be more concerned about 2.4ghz band as it has greater wi-fi range?

I was looking at a d-link DIR 868L I can get refurbished for about $70 (Canadian), or an Asus ac55u or a tp-link archer c5 for a little more ($89). Or spend extra on either a TP-link Archer c7 or a linksys 6350 (about $110 for either). Any thoughts, suggestions? I'm leaning towards the d-link due to price and features - but does beamforming and QoS really make a difference if the end devices aren't newer? (laptop is 4 years old, tablets are original ipad mini's). Maybe the asus ac55u or the archer c5 would have better range? Everything I read here about the archer c5 seems great, so maybe I should spend the little extra and get it?

Thanks for any help or input. Maybe I'll just have to buy and try.

whats your internet speed? Its very important in deciding as well. Dlink is terrible.

If you have more than 300Mb/s of internet none of these routers will do any good if you needed QoS.

Forgot that bit of info, sorry. I have an 80 Mbps cable/dsl connection package. Although on speedtest.net I get around 65 Mbps.

Looking for advice on a budget. I'm looking for a $100ish router - main qualities being great wi-fi range and gigabit (wired) ports. Wi-fi range/speed isn't great at far ends of house, gigabit ports for downloading on a wired desktop.
For a good range / price ratio I would suggest the Asus RT-N66U (see my footer below) - unbeatable in range (especially with HGG fork firmware) and cheaper then the AC routers. :rolleyes:

Of course AC routers have faster WLAN speeds (if the client supports it), but you can still have up to 300 MBit WLAN with the N-only router! ;)

I would suggest skipping the older N class routers and look at the RT-AC56U (especially when on sale) or the RT-AC68U (refurbished, to be closer to the price you want to pay).

The advantages of an AC class router are obvious even with N class clients and will only increase as you get more AC class clients too.

I am in the same boat as OP.
I was looking at the C7 or C9 vs the AC66u. (A step up from the 56u?)

I wasn't considering the 86u since it was too much (I wanted to spend 130, IIRC it's 170-180?)
Refurb might make it hit my budget - but part of me is hesitant - how trustworthy is a refurb router?

I would suggest skipping the older N class routers and look at the RT-AC56U (especially when on sale) or the RT-AC68U (refurbished, to be closer to the price you want to pay).

The advantages of an AC class router are obvious even with N class clients and will only increase as you get more AC class clients too.

Thanks!
I can get an RT-AC56U on sale for $100. But it is an ac1200 just like an Archer C5, which can be had for a little cheaper. Is it necessarily better then the Archer c5, or just preference?
If I was going to spend $100 on the ac56u why not get an ac1750 archer c7?

Thanks!
I can get an RT-AC56U on sale for $100. But it is an ac1200 just like an Archer C5, which can be had for a little cheaper. Is it necessarily better then the Archer c5, or just preference?
If I was going to spend $100 on the ac56u why not get an ac1750 archer c7?

The benefits of the Asus are RMerlin firmware and the forks based on Eric's work too.

The benefits of the RT-AC56U specifically is that it 'punches' above it's weight class and with the equivalent hardware of an RT-AC68U less one antennae and the fact that they are internal on the 'AC56U, it makes it very worthwhile to spend a little more.

Don't underestimate the diminutive Asus. It is in a class by itself.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/asuswrt-merlin-378-55-3_hgg-final-mod.26524/page-2#post-199549

Particularly with the right firmware and optimal settings.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/no...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

If you can hold out for (possibly) an even better sale price, do so. A member here picked up his RT-AC56U for around $55. ;)

The benefits of the Asus are RMerlin firmware and the forks based on Eric's work too.

The benefits of the RT-AC56U specifically is that it 'punches' above it's weight class and with the equivalent hardware of an RT-AC68U less one antennae and the fact that they are internal on the 'AC56U, it makes it very worthwhile to spend a little more.

Great answer and advice! Thanks!

Better value for the money is right up my alley! Definitely makes it worth the little extra money for it!

The person who got it for $55 was probably not in Canada, lol. $55 US dollars equals about $80 Canadian. The regular price for the RT-ac56u is about 140 - 160, so 100 is actually not bad.
I think I'll get it and try it out. Thanks!

Hello ccm001,
Looking at your main complain - the coverage at the edge of the house, not the WiFi speed that much, and the fact that may not not all of your clients are 5GHz compatible anyway, why not take a look at the Cisco RV130W router plus a small Access Point, like the WAP121? They will both work at the N wireless standard, but with both devices together, at the price of the RT-AC68U (about $90 for the router and about $50 for the AP - Amazon prices), you can surely get much better coverage, compared what one device has to offer, especially with internal antennas. The LAN ports will be gigabit, for your wired clients. Plus the fact, that you will have free 1 year phone support and lifetime warranty.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/asuswrt-merlin-378-55-3_hgg-final-mod.26524/page-2#post-199549

Particularly with the right firmware and optimal settings.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/no...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

If you can hold out for (possibly) an even better sale price, do so. A member here picked up his RT-AC56U for around $55. ;)

Since I am in a similar boat, and joegreat rightfully suggested I just take my questions here to consolidate the conversation:

If the ac56 punches above its weight class?
What about the ac66u? I was mainly considering ac66 vs archer c7 vs archer c9?

My main wants were more on performance not features. Speed, reliability, not dropping, not needing to restart on unplug router. I don't need crazy features like a Nighthawk. Hence, why I limited to those 3.

Would the Asus ac56 or 66 be better than the Archer series for my wants?

if choosing between asus and cisco rv I'd rather go with the ac68U than the cisco rv. The cisco rv series are appalling and asus actually offers more than the cisco rv especially if you use RMerlin's firmware. as a router the cisco rv is horrible because it is unreliable and it is sold as a business class router when it is just a consumer class router with vpn functionality and the same reliability as one as well. I also wouldnt count on cisco support for their lower end products. cisco support nowadays is a premium.

For a bit more indepth explanation the vpn router series that many manufacturers use like the cisco rv use an octeon MIPS based CPU with hardware encryption, while at the time they were released consumer routers lacked vpn functionality and speeds so it made sense for businesses to get them however they have the same interface and functionality as a consumer router and they were also as unreliable as a consumer router (lots of lockups or freezes requiring reboots). On top of that cisco didnt actually give anymore support than what the other companies making such business routers. Even though ubiquiti has the most stable implementation of the platform their firmware isnt exactly that good. Recently someone noticed NAT leaks and problems when using SSL over NAT. So to get a vpn series router now like the cisco rv is just a waste of money as consumer routers like asus has already surpassed them.

Since I am in a similar boat, and joegreat rightfully suggested I just take my questions here to consolidate the conversation:

If the ac56 punches above its weight class?
What about the ac66u? I was mainly considering ac66 vs archer c7 vs archer c9?

My main wants were more on performance not features. Speed, reliability, not dropping, not needing to restart on unplug router. I don't need crazy features like a Nighthawk. Hence, why I limited to those 3.

Would the Asus ac56 or 66 be better than the Archer series for my wants?

The RT-AC66U was a good buy when it debuted over 3 years ago. But based on the same hardware as the RT-N66U, it is easily outclassed by the little 'AC56U.

The TP-Link hardware is something I would be wary with. Very old code running on those systems and no sign of TP-Link updating or otherwise minimizing the security issues present on the affected systems (which I believe is all of the TP-Link hardware).

When all aspects are considered (firmware, updates, security fixes, features and performance) the RT-AC56U is a hard act to follow. To effectively surpass it in all those areas, you need to jump to the RT-AC3100, RT-A88U or RT-AC5300 today. And as you know, that is more than a 2x price jump to do so.

The RT-AC66U was a good buy when it debuted over 3 years ago. But based on the same hardware as the RT-N66U, it is easily outclassed by the little 'AC56U.

The TP-Link hardware is something I would be wary with. Very old code running on those systems and no sign of TP-Link updating or otherwise minimizing the security issues present on the affected systems (which I believe is all of the TP-Link hardware).

When all aspects are considered (firmware, updates, security fixes, features and performance) the RT-AC56U is a hard act to follow. To effectively surpass it in all those areas, you need to jump to the RT-AC3100, RT-A88U or RT-AC5300 today. And as you know, that is more than a 2x price jump to do so.

Thanks for the insight! Since part of my shopping points are just that "it works" (reliability, consistency etc)
I would get wary of the TP Link. I will look into the ac56u - didn't realize it was better than the 66.... I only really heard of the Archer and the ac66 from this site and other sites as a top router - but ill check the 56

In what ways does the Ac56u outclass the ac66u? I'm curious to see if I should replace my ac66u or not.

In what ways does the Ac56u outclass the ac66u? I'm curious to see if I should replace my ac66u or not.

If you don't have clients that have 3 antennae (or, the ones that do are not used constantly for high speed transfers within your network), then the RT-AC56U is better because;

The RT-AC66U is based on the equivalent hardware as the RT-N66U. Slower processor and a much older 'AC' design (first gen).

The RT-AC56U is based on the equivalent hardware as the RT-AC68U. Faster processer, better designed radio circuitry (as witnessed in range and throughput in actual, real world, use).

And that is even with it's internal antennae. :)

If you think the internal configuration is hindering performance or range,

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/asuswrt-merlin-3-0-0-4-374-38-is-out.14691/page-19#post-99500

As to whether you should replace your 'AC66U with an RT-AC56U? Not without testing fully in your environment.

But you will get a few more features to use that the older router can't handle because of the lower performance processor it has (AiProtection being one such feature, for example). You should also get faster VPN speeds as well.

If you can use your 'AC66U as an AP to light up a remote corner of the areas you use WiFi in, this low cost 'upgrade' is a no brainer, imo.

If you want a single router that offers more of everything that your 'AC66U can do and more, the RT-AC3100, RT-AC88U and the RT-AC5300 are the better long term options if you're really pushing your network and you have many 3 antennae/3 stream clients that you use to the max.

Of course, you could also wait for the latest Asus batch of routers that will be introduced soonish too. :)

This is a game that never ceases to be fun (and expensive).

Judging from the comments on the forum...

Going with any ASUS device is likely going to be a ball of hurt with the factory firmware, and folks will generally advise you to go with 3rd party firmware, including a certain fork that is ethically unsound (HGG)...

There's a few decent AC1900/AC1750/AC1200 devices in the $100-120USD range - the TPLink Archer series is something to look at - they run well...

Actually for a better perspective, tp-link's firmware is quite basic which is why they run well, they dont need to put much into making firmware compared to asus from the features they offer.

Actually for a better perspective, tp-link's firmware is quite basic which is why they run well, they dont need to put much into making firmware compared to asus from the features they offer.

TP-Link is to be avoided for running way out of date (security) inside their code. Unless the more recent firmware or models have rectified that, they are not even a last choice if you value your network (and the devices and data within).

TP-Link is to be avoided for running way out of date (security) inside their code. Unless the more recent firmware or models have rectified that, they are not even a last choice if you value your network (and the devices and data within).
Pretty sure the word "basic" and "dont need to put much into making firmware" explains it. I was explaining why tp-link routers seem to run smoothly.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!