What's new

Router does not redial when connection dies?!?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Pila

Regular Contributor
I thought there are no stupid questions, but here is one:

If my router notices my modem has dropped connection, why does not router dial again? I have USB 3G modem.

If a connection is lost, router does not care and it is up to me to redial. The only way I know how is to reboot the router.

This is plain wrong. I do not care if it is USB modem or what. Router should do whatever it needs and DIAL IT!

Router Asuswrt-Merlin RT-AC56U_380.59_0

Amazing. So, everyone considers it normal that the router does not redial after a connection breaks.

Most interesting.

It depends on the modem.

If the modem really emualates a modem, there is usually a PPP connection and the router should do the dialing.

If the modem emualates a network interface, the modem will do the dialing (because the router would not know a NIC needs dialing).

USB modem should redial automatically. But, for the last 50 years, we did our own dialing using atd commands, so here it still must be true.

My problem is: if a modem just receives new IP address, router stops routing all other network devices through it. So, I am looking for a way around this problem.

Sometimes Router redials sucessfuly, sometimes not. Tries to establish connection once and then it stops and ignores the problem if the conn does not suceed. Wrong behaviour.

Presumably, if I could say to my router to redial, I would be better of than having to reboot it just to make it work well,

A plan "modem" wouldn't receive an IP address, because it does not have a DHCP client.

I have used USB modems under both Windows and Linux and generally you connect to GPRS or 3G with ATDT*99# or something like that (and then treat it like a PPP connection).

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!