What's new

Router Terminal traffic over Wireguard

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Asad Ali

Very Senior Member
Hello All,
I'm trying to figure out how to force route my router terminal traffic over Wireguard, I'm able to route my whole network over Wireguard and everything is working as expected but the only issue is router traffic is still going thorough my ISP's gateway.

What I've tried so far:
My router IP is 10.1.1.1
My current VPN Director configuration is 10.1.1.0/24 ( Tried 10.1.1.1/24 as well ) going through Wireguard client.
Tried adding a rule for 10.1.1.1 to go through Wireguard client as well.

But router traffic like curl, mtr etc still going through my ISP.

Hello All,
I'm trying to figure out how to force route my router terminal traffic over Wireguard, I'm able to route my whole network over Wireguard and everything is working as expected but the only issue is router traffic is still going thorough my ISP's gateway.

What I've tried so far:
My router IP is 10.1.1.1
My current VPN Director configuration is 10.1.1.0/24 ( Tried 10.1.1.1/24 as well ) going through Wireguard client.
Tried adding a rule for 10.1.1.1 to go through Wireguard client as well.

But router traffic like curl, mtr etc still going through my ISP.
I dont think that could be done from gui. You could try to add your wan ip but I suspect it wont work.

Either you would have to add the routes to the main routing table but I dont see explicit routes to wgserver in the main routing table so you might need to add these as well.

or

you could add routing rule for interface lo (local).Something like
Code:
ip rule add iif lo table wgc1 prio 20000
would probably do it. But make sure routes to your wgserver exists in policy route table (it does in mine).

Anyhow its something that would need to be tested and it may not work in the first try.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!